New tank nitrate levels and vinegar dosing

reefer_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started cycling my dry rock aquascape (45 pounds) for a 65 gallon proclear 90 around June 10th with sponge filter (2 large ones) and Seachem matrix substrate from my established tank along with Dr. Tim's one and only, salt water start, microbacter along with ammonium chloride dosing everyday (no live rock used). I cycled until 5th of this month when I was convinced there was no ammonia and no nitrite and nitrates spiked to 60-80 ppm. It could handle ammonia spike of 1.5 ppm in a day and nitrite to nitrate took some time. Transferred all my cycled rock to the display tank with a large bottle of biospira dosed and been adding a mysis shrimp cube everyday. Earlier my tank showed 5 ppm nitrates and now it seems to be dropping to 1 ppm. I had some diatom show up but it has stopped spreading. I would not expect denitrification to happen at this stage - is that even possible ? Is my tank ready for vinegar dosing? I have a reef breeders photon 32 on a cycle of 10 hours and still not a lot of algae. Ammonia - 0, nitrite - 0, nitrate - 1 ppm. Nitrate levels tested with nyos, salifert. 40 pounds of live sand used for a 1.5 inch sand bed). As seen in the pic, there is a maxspect gyre at 40% for flow which should somehow eliminate low flow areas for anaerobic bacteria to set in.

IMG_20210711_111302999.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You don’t want to start a new tank and apply vinegar or vodka
If you have a nitrate issue, look at your filter or water source.
chemipure blue will help keep nitrate in check

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on everything you wrote, why would you think denitrification wouldn't be happening at this stage? With the bacterial products you've added and everything else you've been doing, you've had a fully functional biofilter going for weeks now already!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just change water to get nitrates down

Don't worry about carbon dosing as you will simply overdo it and end up with Dino's.

Voice of experience

OP
OP
reefer_87

reefer_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t want to start a new tank and apply vinegar or vodka
If you have a nitrate issue, look at your filter or water source.
chemipure blue will help keep nitrate in check
@vetteguy53081 It's the other way round. Nitrates are dropping from 5 ppm to 1 ppm over the 10 days. Using rodi water and tropic Marin sea salt for the display tank. There is feeding and decay going on but nitrate level is dropping. Not sure if it's algae consuming it (no obvious signs of it though) or denitrification going on already because I seeded it with sea chem bio matrix from my established tank.

OP
OP
reefer_87

reefer_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on everything you wrote, why would you think denitrification wouldn't be happening at this stage? With the bacterial products you've added and everything else you've been doing, you've had a fully functional biofilter going for weeks now already!
@BostonReefer300 agreed on the nitrification bacteria with all products I used but I have not seen a thread if denitrifying bacteria can colonize so fast in a new tank or being seeded in the first place from an established tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 It's the other way round. Nitrates are dropping from 5 ppm to 1 ppm over the 10 days. Using rodi water and tropic Marin sea salt for the display tank. There is feeding and decay going on but nitrate level is dropping. Not sure if it's algae consuming it (no obvious signs of it though) or denitrification going on already because I seeded it with sea chem bio matrix from my established tank.
What test kits are you using?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BostonReefer300 agreed on the nitrification bacteria with all products I used but I have not seen a thread if denitrifying bacteria can colonize so fast in a new tank or being seeded in the first place from an established tank.
It's good that you're being so careful and diligent, however the old rules about cycling are completely outdated. Today's bottled bacteria products (used as directed) will instantly cycle a tank assuming your critical parameters are good (temp, salinity, etc.) and you have enough rock (~ 0.75 - 1 lb per gross system gallon---others would say more, but I use porous rock) and/or other suitable substrate (e.g. sponge filter in a QT tank) and good flow and you've been feeding the bacteria. I've instantly cycled dozens of QTs and a handful of DTs this way with zero problem. Good luck with your tank and have fun!

OP
OP
reefer_87

reefer_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good that you're being so careful and diligent, however the old rules about cycling are completely outdated. Today's bottled bacteria products (used as directed) will instantly cycle a tank assuming your critical parameters are good (temp, salinity, etc.) and you have enough rock (~ 0.75 - 1 lb per gross system gallon---others would say more, but I use porous rock) and/or other suitable substrate (e.g. sponge filter in a QT tank) and good flow and you've been feeding the bacteria. I've instantly cycled dozens of QTs and a handful of DTs this way with zero problem. Good luck with your tank and have fun!
This is very good to know. This is probably my first system that is not a nano/diy and wanted to play it safe. I see some life in this tank with a few bristle worms, pods going and a lone snail warrior eating algae /diatom (don't hate bristle worms anymore). Will transfer a few of my existing corals and start adding fish. Will post a build thread soon.

OP
OP
reefer_87

reefer_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just change water to get nitrates down

Don't worry about carbon dosing as you will simply overdo it and end up with Dino's.

Voice of experience
Yes. Since nitrates are under control I decided against adding vinegar until I see it hit 5 ppm or more.

OP
OP
reefer_87

reefer_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Since nitrates are under control I decided against adding vinegar until I see it hit 5 ppm or more.
Just wanted to provide an update. My nitrate levels started to rise and now between 5 and 10 ppm depending on days from water change. Lesson learnt is that it takes 6 months for a tank to show stabilized levels of nutrients. Until then all we can do is to ensure it does not hit the unsafe levels. I lost 3 sps (combination of blasting them with flow and light and alkalinity swing beyond 2 dkh over a day) so far and about 12 other sps added at various points of time are growing and encrusting. Not the explosive growth but I am happy that they are extending polyps and encrusting. Lps/zoas are doing good and thriving. My somewhat erratic phosphate levels (0.05-0.25) are the culprit potentially hurting better growth rates and I am working on it.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back