Santiimari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**Edit-
link to clown video

Hi guys- cycled a 30G tank for a month. Got two clownfish on Sunday. Did a water change Thursday. One clown spit out all his food, and he’s little so I thought it couldn’t fit in his mouth, I crushed it up and he would take little bits. Went back to the store I bought them from and said I was worried- so they gave me a sample of different food smaller and softer to take back for free. He doesn’t even try to eat anymore. He just floats in one place (not much swimming just lethargy) and moves his mouth rapidly... :( any suggestions? I am new... and I really am so worried about this little fella. I simply don’t know what is normal yet from a clown :(

Ammonia -0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate -10
Sal- 1.026 + temp 75-76f

Last edited:

KTrevino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure, I do not recognize anything looking abnormal or spots or anything- his head is kinda veiny on the top is that normal? Thank you so much
here is a video of him:Lil guy
Hmmm he does seem a little off let's see what other say.

OP
OP
Santiimari

Santiimari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm he does seem a little off let's see what other say.
I did a much closer inspection and also watched some videos about fish sickness. I’m wondering if he has Ich? He does have tiny bubbles on him, I assumed it was from micro bubbles in my tank?
Pic attached: Ich????

Cambrian Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine didn't eat much if at all the first week. I gave them some frozen food instead of flakes and they went to town on it. Kept feeding frozen, then started alternating flake food and they eat both very well.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lathargic, rapid breathing, not eating can indicate parasite, ick or velvet, not necessarily do we always see the dots at first, but it seems possible a parasite could be developing in the gills and would account for some of the behavior.

You could consider a copper based treatment which would handle both ick or velvet.
You could wait another day, see if any changes, then treatment.

He’s gotta eat reasonably soon, so if not, somethings up

OP
OP
Santiimari

Santiimari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lathargic, rapid breathing, not eating can indicate parasite, ick or velvet, not necessarily do we always see the dots at first, but it seems possible a parasite could be developing in the gills and would account for some of the behavior.

You could consider a copper based treatment which would handle both ick or velvet.
You could wait another day, see if any changes, then treatment.

He’s gotta eat reasonably soon, so if not, somethings up
I picked up some mysis to tempt him and showed pics and vids to my LFS store. They gave me the mysis on the house and even dosed it with some fishy nutrients Looks stressed but the manager said it didn’t look like anything yet!! Hope he eats just gonna have to play the waiting game.
Thanks guys

OP
OP
Santiimari

Santiimari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine didn't eat much if at all the first week. I gave them some frozen food instead of flakes and they went to town on it. Kept feeding frozen, then started alternating flake food and they eat both very well.
Thank you! I picked up some yummy mysis from the LfS and they really hooked me up since she said she was worried too!!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned with illness, then I would immediately put him in quarantine.

OP
OP
Santiimari

Santiimari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**Edit-
link to clown video

Hi guys- cycled a 30G tank for a month. Got two clownfish on Sunday. Did a water change Thursday. One clown spit out all his food, and he’s little so I thought it couldn’t fit in his mouth, I crushed it up and he would take little bits. Went back to the store I bought them from and said I was worried- so they gave me a sample of different food smaller and softer to take back for free. He doesn’t even try to eat anymore. He just floats in one place (not much swimming just lethargy) and moves his mouth rapidly... :( any suggestions? I am new... and I really am so worried about this little fella. I simply don’t know what is normal yet from a clown :(

Ammonia -0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate -10
Sal- 1.026 + temp 75-76f

thanks for everyone’s help. I stayed up all night watching him, he wedged himself face first into a rock and lied on the sand all night. we took him into the store first thing in the AM. He sadly died yesterday at the LFS store where we took him back to see if we could save him. They couldn’t find anything physically wrong with him and I had them test my water, which came back perfectly fine. The store had been so helpful trying to save this little guy. I cried a lot as he was my first of two fish. I’m pretty scared bc I don’t want this unknown killer to get the other clown as well, but he has been eating well, swimming all over, acting fine for now. I will continue to monitor. We did get and add carbon the tank now to see if that helps, and I performed a water change.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back