New Tank Parameters Stalled Out

BIGLUKOWSKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings! Newbie here. I have been cycling my tank for about 6 weeks now. Got some old dried out live rock from a friend soaked and cleaned it in vinegar. Using Ocean Direct Carribsea Sand and Red Sea Salt. LFS RODI. 40G tank.

I am cycling with 1 clown and 2 red leg hermits.

My ammonia has stalled out at .15 for about 3 weeks., nitrite (2) and Nitrate (50) have also stalled out. I added Dr. TIMS 3 weeks and have been using Microbacter 7 with daily for about a month.

Is this normal or should I be doing something different? Any ideas appreciated.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings! Newbie here. I have been cycling my tank for about 6 weeks now. Got some old dried out live rock from a friend soaked and cleaned it in vinegar. Using Ocean Direct Carribsea Sand and Red Sea Salt. LFS RODI. 40G tank.

I am cycling with 1 clown and 2 red leg hermits.

My ammonia has stalled out at .15 for about 3 weeks., nitrite (2) and Nitrate (50) have also stalled out. I added Dr. TIMS 3 weeks and have been using Microbacter 7 with daily for about a month.

Is this normal or should I be doing something different? Any ideas appreciated.
I can't give advice other than to check out this thread about stalled cycles by @brandon429.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how each cycle challenge is like a little formula with one set of data missing, and we hunt down the missing set, the answers always add up to what a cycling chart shows in duration though.

what the tests read are little more than approximations. To include the latest of what ive read from chemistry forum friends:

your reading is likely before something called TAN conversion, making it fractionally lower ammonia than reported, and in the known safe range. To have hobby kits that don't require TAN conversion in the reading is rare.

Fish and animals wont live in burn conditions, they'll stop feeding and die.

what carried them so far is the raw dilution, and the bacteria that ride in stuck to fish and get in via water prep pathways, apparently its lined up for a relatively harmless cycle, or you'd see harm. post pics

the bacteria and dilution were given enough time now, per a chart, to have plated all over the available surface area and now its cycled.

the only way it can't be cycled is if cycling charts are wrong, not If a color chart ammonia test kit disagrees. you have to ride out a duration cycle on this one, tests won't help.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw micro bacter was used, that'll work for input along with any wet sand

Now it lines up really well, it's cycled

OP
OP
BIGLUKOWSKI

BIGLUKOWSKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how each cycle challenge is like a little formula with one set of data missing, and we hunt down the missing set, the answers always add up to what a cycling chart shows in duration though.

what the tests read are little more than approximations. To include the latest of what ive read from chemistry forum friends:

your reading is likely before something called TAN conversion, making it fractionally lower ammonia than reported, and in the known safe range. To have hobby kits that don't require TAN conversion in the reading is rare.

Fish and animals wont live in burn conditions, they'll stop feeding and die.

what carried them so far is the raw dilution, and the bacteria that ride in stuck to fish and get in via water prep pathways, apparently its lined up for a relatively harmless cycle, or you'd see harm. post pics

the bacteria and dilution were given enough time now, per a chart, to have plated all over the available surface area and now its cycled.

the only way it can't be cycled is if cycling charts are wrong, not If a color chart ammonia test kit disagrees. you have to ride out a duration cycle on this one, tests won't help.
I'll have to look up that cycle chart cycle, hadn't heard of that! Thanks!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80FC82C8-6CDA-4255-8E82-3EBBA8B5CE2C.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s fascinating is any website you go to, cycle chart timeframes are the same. We trust those charts more than the ammonia test reading.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back