New tank. Probably over worrying but just in case

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next suggestion, find another LFS. They did you a huge disservice telling you to buy all this. I was in this same boat when I fish started out. Looked around found some more genuine stores. It’s good to go in and ask questions even if you know the answers to them. The questions let you judge if they’re just trying to sell you something or they genuinely care that your tank and money will be living well or well spent.
On the other hand if they’re the only store around. Come here and ask questions and get answers first, it’ll make for a much more enjoyable time with the hobby.

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next suggestion, find another LFS. They did you a huge disservice telling you to buy all this. I was in this same boat when I fish started out. Looked around found some more genuine stores. It’s good to go in and ask questions even if you know the answers to them. The questions let you judge if they’re just trying to sell you something or they genuinely care that your tank and money will be living well or well spent.
On the other hand if they’re the only store around. Come here and ask questions and get answers first, it’ll make for a much more enjoyable time with the hobby.

They also sold me a gem tang. Thankfully I decided to leave him there as I was nervous about adding him with all these other fish from an aggression standpoint.

This blows

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they picked the most expensive fish they had and just told you nothing would happen. what the heck kind of place is that. I’m angry for you, and all the fish they probably sell to people new to the hobby.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a more positive note. When all this is behind you, your tank looks great and fits your house nice.

other side note, look into the local reef club section find the one in your are near, maybe someone can take some of the fish while you get yours up to speed.

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a more positive note. When all this is behind you, your tank looks great and fits your house nice.

other side note, look into the local reef club section find the one in your are near, maybe someone can take some of the fish while you get yours up to speed.
Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it very much.

Love that idea. Looking now. You’ve been beyond helpful.

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice. I’ll mention this though, you’re spending/spent a lot of money on fish and I haven’t heard anything about quarantining them or treating for any issues. I’m hoping you beat Mother Nature here but keep an eye out for any diseases with the fish!

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice. I’ll mention this though, you’re spending/spent a lot of money on fish and I haven’t heard anything about quarantining them or treating for any issues. I’m hoping you beat Mother Nature here but keep an eye out for any diseases with the fish!
Thanks.

I am now very distrustful of this store, but I am certain they did a 21 quarantine with medication. I saw them the day they came in and waited

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save money on buying anything else and get better tests. I just learned the hard way of the inconsistency with API tests, especially reading low end numbers. Salifert, or if you can afford it, Red Sea, are the one's I'd recommend.

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save money on buying anything else and get better tests. I just learned the hard way of the inconsistency with API tests, especially reading low end numbers. Salifert, or if you can afford it, Red Sea, are the one's I'd recommend.
Thanks for the info.

I have Hannah testers for my 6 month old reef. But not for nitrate/ nitrite and ammonia

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info.

I have Hannah testers for my 6 month old reef. But not for nitrate/ nitrite and ammonia
API is notorious for always showing an ammonia reading and the nitrates are next to impossible to ever show unless crazy high, just my experience with them.

Hanna's are also great.

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API is notorious for always showing an ammonia reading and the nitrates are next to impossible to ever show unless crazy high, just my experience with them.

Hanna's are also great.
I’ll be going to try to find a better test for ammonia tomorrow.

I did a 50 gallon water change this afternoon and doing another one tomorrow

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Griping to gripe here. But I’m new to the hobby. I sure wish my LFS would have told me this was too many fish to add. I would have added 1 at a time if need be. This sucks.

I love those anthias so much, and not to mention feeling horrible if I kill 4 creatures because I messed up, they were 100 each.
Try to use the knowledge on here more than lfs some I have found in England don't own their own tanks at home one tried to sell me a sand sifting star to a brand new setup much better knowledge on here and a lot more of it from people that have already made the mistakes. I'm new to reef keeping but have been a long time fresh water keeper and the knowledge here is great and very useful

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Griping to gripe here. But I’m new to the hobby. I sure wish my LFS would have told me this was too many fish to add. I would have added 1 at a time if need be. This sucks.

I love those anthias so much, and not to mention feeling horrible if I kill 4 creatures because I messed up, they were 100 each.

Anthias may be fine but they usually don't transport well and need food a few times a day. I have had them go for a week with no food but after they were settled and happy in a display. If I can offer some of my own experience with any LFS, never buy on impulse and always research beforehand. If it is really important, ask if they will hold something while you log on and ask some questions :)) Good luck.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that your tank has been up for a couple of weeks before adding fish. Did you add any bacteria like Dr Tims or Fritz Turbo Start?

If you can get some prime, I would also try to get a starting bacteria to help get the biological cycle going. I've used both Dr Tims and Fritz and they work everytime.

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that your tank has been up for a couple of weeks before adding fish. Did you add any bacteria like Dr Tims or Fritz Turbo Start?

If you can get some prime, I would also try to get a starting bacteria to help get the biological cycle going. I've used both Dr Tims and Fritz and they work everytime.
Yes I followed a weeks schedule of fritz turbo start and waited until I saw a little nitrates before adding fish

I’m dosing prime now based on recommendations here

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back