New tank problems

dlagrange

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok people..long story and I trust a ton of opinions...
My tank was filled in June cycled and fish were added. 2 months in we suffered a major power outage that lasted 9 days. I have added corals since and the corals are healthy or at least one would think.
I had an apparent cyno outbreak post power outage..and as you can see the rock is encrusted. The green algae is super hard to get off. I have some hair algae that cane in via a frag from lfs and I have string algae coming from the rock. I am doing a 25 percent water change weekly using coral pro salt. I do not believe I am over feeding and I run an algae scrubber that is really taking off with crop that I clean the screen every two weeks.
when I do a water change I am plucking the strands of algae from the rock..my zoa rocks that have it I pull out and do a peroxide dip on.
I have starting dosing with brightwell phosphate remover.
My alk is 8.3 consistent..nitrates are low according to api test kit..yes I know I’ll get something better to test..my calcium is fine..and of course I am getting phosphates below because the algae is present. Oddly I don’t get much algae on the glass.I though I saw potentially purple coraline forming on the rock at one point. The tank is 22.5 gallons...there are two fish in there..blue hermits red hermits..a bunch of little snails..two turbos but the crabs are attacking the snails..go figure.
I figure this all due to the 9 days without flow and such..and my guess is the tank is going through it’s ugly phase...but I am reaching for advice here.
I run the light schedule about 6 hours bright..with 4 hours of blue that ramps down to a lunar schedule using the ai prime hd.

many ideas of what I could be doing better here? Thanks
EA60ADBF-ACE1-4DE6-8B21-9B8095B62FC1.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems very young to be adding corals.
Sounds like a month or so maturity.
Water chemistry likely unstable.
Needs about 4-6 months, or when you see coralline algae.

Seabiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry about your power outage. That happens here in California about twice a year. I got a battery operated air pump because the outages where I live are only a few days long. It was $7.50 on Ebay. It's a moderate approach for me. We have a back up gas generator if the power is out for more than 3 days. I'd get some macroalgae if you can. Whether it's Chaeto (Chaetomorpha) for your sump (if you're lucky enough to have one), or some larger-leafed macroalgae for your display tank, they like phosphates.
Remember to enter the skimmer giveaway below:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back