New tank running for 3 days now here are Test results

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Looking for input into my water test results. This is a new 40 gal tall tank with a small sump. I put in 10 lbs of fresh Australian Live Rock, 30 lbs of Fiji rock and 3/4 of a bag of live sand. I also have sea lettuce in tank and sump, 2 softball size Chaeto balls, some grape Algae. I also threw in 2 Damsels (I know some have said to cycle the tank without them, but they are here already).
Here are my parameter:

Water Temp- 77.5 degrees

Salinity - 0.025/34

High Range PH: 8.0-8.2

Ammonia- 0.25-0.50 (kinda between)

Nitrite - 0

Alkalinity- 10.5

Nitrate - 50 (Need help on best way to bring this down please) Or do I leave it alone since it is cycling?

I'm surprised my Ammonia levels aren't higher and that my nitrites are 0 is this normal?

I only have a sump with a small refugium and no skimmers, or other mechanical filtration, etc.

That's all I had time to test. What else should I capture when I have a minute?

Thanks!

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, to put in fish to cycle a tank is very cruel. You should have zero ammonia. I recommend you do at least one of two things if not both. Go buy some instant starter bacteria and/or return the fish to your LFS or a fellow reefer for babysitting (until cycled). I also recommend that you watch Bulk Reef Supply videos on Youtube on cycling a tank and other things reefing.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia burns gills, yes damsels are Hardy but I still think it's cruel to use them to cycle a tank, especially with so many other options.

That being said, you're 3 days into a process that can take weeks. Patience is key.
Ok understood, but as for my Ammonia levels and Nitrate levels, do I just let them be? Or do I need to do a water change or add anything to water? With this basically cycle through and lower on it's own after a few weeks of cycling?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello All,

Looking for input into my water test results. This is a new 40 gal tall tank with a small sump. I put in 10 lbs of fresh Australian Live Rock, 30 lbs of Fiji rock and 3/4 of a bag of live sand. I also have sea lettuce in tank and sump, 2 softball size Chaeto balls, some grape Algae. I also threw in 2 Damsels (I know some have said to cycle the tank without them, but they are here already).
Here are my parameter:

Water Temp- 77.5 degrees

Salinity - 0.025/34

High Range PH: 8.0-8.2

Ammonia- 0.25-0.50 (kinda between)

Nitrite - 0

Alkalinity- 10.5

Nitrate - 50 (Need help on best way to bring this down please) Or do I leave it alone since it is cycling?

I'm surprised my Ammonia levels aren't higher and that my nitrites are 0 is this normal?

I only have a sump with a small refugium and no skimmers, or other mechanical filtration, etc.

That's all I had time to test. What else should I capture when I have a minute?

Thanks!
With the low ammonia and nitrate holding, your goal was to get ammonia close to zero and nitrate at 20 or below steady.
Dont worry or involve yourself with nitrate UNLESS Sky High.
During cycling, did you add ammonia chloride or even a small piece of shrimp to raise ammonia and watch it decline over a few days? If not - you wanted to.
How long did tank cycle and what test kits are you using to monitor?

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the low ammonia and nitrate holding, your goal is to get ammonia close to zero and nitrate at 20 or below steady.
Have you added ammonia chloride or even a small piece of shrimp to raise ammonia then watch it decline over a few days? If not - you want to. Shrimp can be pulled by day 3 and discarded as it will raise the ammonia

I think you misread the thread. OP has fish in the tank. They should not add ammonia or a rotting shrimp

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok understood, but as for my Ammonia levels and Nitrate levels, do I just let them be? Or do I need to do a water change or add anything to water? With this basically cycle through and lower on it's own after a few weeks of cycling?

Remove the fish, add bacteria and let the tank cycle. Take your time.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think you misread the thread. OP has fish in the tank. They should not add ammonia or a rotting shrimp
You misread LOL. I will change it so others not confused, I see damsel- was wondering if he added Ammonia source before calling tank cycled

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish are already in and probably doesn't have a way to go back to the store without inducing more stress and killing them in the process. In this case, it's just feed the fish and add beneficial bacteria. It is what it is ethics aside. As mentioned, It will take weeks to cycle the tank. Be patient and don't get worried if you see a bunch of algae. Most of us go through this with our new tanks and it does go away mostly on it's own over time with regular maintenance.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the low ammonia and nitrate holding, your goal was to get ammonia close to zero and nitrate at 20 or below steady.
During cycling, did you add ammonia chloride or even a small piece of shrimp to raise ammonia and watch it decline over a few days? If not - you wanted to.
How long did tank cycle and what test kits are you using to monitor?
Did you mean to say Nitrite levels at 0 because you say Nitrate. Also, this is only day 3. I was told with all the healthy live rock there was no need to add Ammonia. Is it to late to add a piece of shrimp? What will that do?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You misread LOL. I will change it so others not confused, I see damsel- was wondering if he added Ammonia source before calling tank cycled
No, I think your wording is misleading to the OP given all that has been written. He could take it that he needs to add ammonia still to get the tank cycled - and still leave the fish in - which I don't advise doing at all.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Did you mean to say Nitrite levels at 0 because you say Nitrate. Also, this is only day 3. I was told with all the healthy live rock there was no need to add Ammonia. Is it to late to add a piece of shrimp? What will that do?
Shrimp will elevate the ammonia quickly which will have impact on now existing fish.
As for numbers, cycling is complete when the tank goes through two main phases: ammonia rising and falling, then nitrate will rise and fall. Once Ammonia reads 0 and Nitrate is less than 20ppm, the cycle is complete and livestock can gradually be added. The bacteria population will increase with the new bioload, creating and processing waste and converting it to nitrate quickly. Keep in mind that overloading the aquarium with too many fish up front can exceed what the bacteria can handle which is why it's best to add new fish slowly over the next few months so that the bacterial levels will adapt as long as you don't overload the system with too many mouths to feed.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, you're torturing the damsels now, but also plan to "get rid of them later"???

This is flat out cruel.

I'm sorry, but go to the "New to saltwater" forum and read the sticky threads about how to *HUMANELY* cycle a tank, and what the entire 'new tank' process entails.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do a big water change. I am assuming there really isn't ammonia given that you have no nitrite (or the nitrite test isn't working). However, it would still help with the high nitrate.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I plan on getting rid of them later when ready to move on lol.
So just throw away fish after they help cycle the tank huh? Do you realize there are simple natural additives that will cycle your tank without risking injury or death to the fish?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back