OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just throw away fish after they help cycle the tank huh? Do you realize there are simple natural additives that will cycle your tank without risking injury or death to the fish?
No I am not to be honest if you could point some out I woukd aporeciate it.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your better to research or ask in this forum beforehand, or even ask your LFS before choosing a fish and maybe take some aquarium water along for a true accurate reading

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your better to research or ask in this forum beforehand, or even ask your LFS before choosing a fish and maybe take some aquarium water along for a true accurate reading
Honestly I wssn't going to chcle with fish. My LFS damsels would be fine and they suggest it all the time. Then it doesn't hell that your kid is next to you begging to have you buy them after they said that. Maybe time to find a new LFS?

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia burns gills, yes damsels are Hardy but I still think it's cruel to use them to cycle a tank, especially with so many other options.

That being said, you're 3 days into a process that can take weeks. Patience is key.
Total agree. Patience is the key. Proper cycle a reef tank will take months. If you are planning for SPS, another 6 months before you ever think about it ;)

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Salifert test kits. Had fresh water tanks for 20+ years with almkst zero issues. I ca read the test but since Saltwater is new to me and this test brand is new as well still feeling it out.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not only cruel, but if the damsels survive they might claim that tank as theirs. You might have a problem adding fish later.
If I had to suffer through that, I'd want the whole tank to myself too! LOL

But seriously, I feel the OP is being scolded unfairly. It isn't as if they set out to be torture fish. They didn't say "hey... I'm gonna go get some fish and put them in an uncycled tank and let them suffer from gill burn... it sounds like fun".

They obviously are following the advice of the LFS. And those of us with experience in the hobby know that, as a general rule, you don't rely on the LFS for advice.

The mistake has been made, so now, it is our responsibility to get the OP on the right track.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No I'm day 3 into cycling a brand new tank and added Damsela like 2 days ago lol
I see. You want to cycle the tank Prior to adding any fish, not after but with fish in there, monitor water quality and feed sparingly

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Looking for input into my water test results. This is a new 40 gal tall tank with a small sump. I put in 10 lbs of fresh Australian Live Rock, 30 lbs of Fiji rock and 3/4 of a bag of live sand. I also have sea lettuce in tank and sump, 2 softball size Chaeto balls, some grape Algae. I also threw in 2 Damsels (I know some have said to cycle the tank without them, but they are here already).
Here are my parameter:

Water Temp- 77.5 degrees

Salinity - 0.025/34

High Range PH: 8.0-8.2

Ammonia- 0.25-0.50 (kinda between)

Nitrite - 0

Alkalinity- 10.5

Nitrate - 50 (Need help on best way to bring this down please) Or do I leave it alone since it is cycling?

I'm surprised my Ammonia levels aren't higher and that my nitrites are 0 is this normal?

I only have a sump with a small refugium and no skimmers, or other mechanical filtration, etc.

That's all I had time to test. What else should I capture when I have a minute?

Thanks!
Assuming the "Fiji Rock" was dead and white, and the "Live Sand" was off a store shelf, the Live Rock probably jump started the cycle. If you are using an API test kit, the .25, and .50 ppm colors are close to the same color. In addition I have never had an API ammonia kit show the absolute yellow teh card shows for 0 ppm. They usually show the color indicated for .25 ppm. Coupled with the 0 nitrite and 50 ppm nitrate readings, even with crappy API kits, I'd say your ammonia level is probably 0, the cycle is finished, and it is time to do a water change. There is also a chance the the Sea lettuce, Cheato, and "Grape Algae" are using the ammonia also.

FWIW I would get all of the Macroalgae out of the display tank unless you are building the tank for them.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the "Fiji Rock" was dead and white, and the "Live Sand" was off a store shelf, the Live Rock probably jump started the cycle. If you are using an API test kit, the .25, and .50 ppm colors are close to the same color. In addition I have never had an API ammonia kit show the absolute yellow teh card shows for 0 ppm. They usually show the color indicated for .25 ppm. Coupled with the 0 nitrite and 50 ppm nitrate readings, even with crappy API kits, I'd say your ammonia level is probably 0, the cycle is finished, and it is time to do a water change. There is also a chance the the Sea lettuce, Cheato, and "Grape Algae" are using the ammonia also.

FWIW I would get all of the Macroalgae out of the display tank unless you are building the tank for them.
3 day cycle really? Lol is it because of my Australian live rock? I plan on keeping some micro algae mainly the sea lettuce and one other branch looking one in the tank. The rest on the sump/refugium area....is that ok to do?
Also, as I mentioned earlier should I still buy Dr. Tim's bacteria or no need if cycling is done?
Also, does this mean I can start adding CUC?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Should I buy some Microbe-Lift Special Blend to put in there or ??

Thank you!
This stuff good for ponds- I have no confidence in reef aquaria
I recommend Micro bacter XLM or Micro Bacter 7

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You posted that you added live rock.
You would have been cycled.
Ok to add bacteria.
See what you live rock can do with nitrates for a bit, then, consider carbon dose to manage that down, but never zero.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fish are already in and probably doesn't have a way to go back to the store without inducing more stress and killing them in the process. In this case, it's just feed the fish and add beneficial bacteria. It is what it is ethics aside. As mentioned, It will take weeks to cycle the tank. Be patient and don't get worried if you see a bunch of algae. Most of us go through this with our new tanks and it does go away mostly on it's own over time with regular maintenance.
What they said! And you can perform small water changes to help lower ammonia and let nature take its course. I wouldn’t stress just perform small water changes, add bacteria, and let nature take it’s course.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back