NEW TANK SALT WATER MIXING??

enemec1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I about to drain my test water and refill with RODI water. Should i premix and fill tank or should i just mix in tank once all water is in tank?? Total tank volume will be around 180 gallons minus rock displacement. tank 150g, sump 30ish.

What is recommend?

OP
OP
E

enemec1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drained the tap water test run in the tank. Still a little left in sump and bottom of tank. At most a gallon total. Can I just add my rodi water to tank and start mixing? This should not be an issue right?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drained the tap water test run in the tank. Still a little left in sump and bottom of tank. At most a gallon total. Can I just add my rodi water to tank and start mixing? This should not be an issue right?
Probably won't be an issue but it's easier to get the rest out now instead of dealing with anything unwanted later. Over time you'll find that a little effort now goes a long way over time

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have started many a tank with tap water. The gallon you have left is not a problem.
Would personally fill half way, add salt, add salt, add sand, let settle, add rock, add rest of water and salt. Add pump

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get out as much as possible. It will take quite a few water changes to completely get out whatever is in your tap water. Look online and find the water reports for you local water supply. We have arsenic in my local supply at levels deemed to be safe but at the max. I don't want that in my tank, along with the low level of VOC's. Most likely your tap water is worse than you might think.

Last edited:

mmatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on mixing In the tank. I just did the exact same thing. Just don't add all the salt in one shot you need to do it over time. Then i added sand and let it settle while running my skimmer. (Which reminds me I should clean the pump for that now) and then added my dry live rock. Allowed the displacement to flow into the sump and added saltwater In to the sump to get my levels

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back