New tank scape

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for feedback on the scape for my pending upgrade (Waterbox 90.3). It’s 4.5x the size of my current so I’m a little jumpy.. in a good way.

Thoughts? Flow issues? The DT will 60 gallons & this is just over 40lbs. More needed?

I apologize in advance, the pics came out a little blurry for some reason.

52E5E5F7-C465-4CAE-A77B-8B24DEBB64C8.jpeg 0AF1548D-8728-410D-839C-EEA44D1989CF.jpeg 0B9D5DDC-60CC-4024-82D1-63BF1BBB7E66.jpeg 6455EB29-4CDD-4FF6-AA49-F0BA97BAB894.jpeg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks great, i like the way you have the single rocks flowing away from the main structure, that’s exactly what I tried to achieve in my new large system

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The arches, caves, and islands all look nice! I think general recommendations would indicate you could add more rock (1-1.5 pounds of rock per gallon), but this is really dependent on stocking of fishes and invertebrates.

One thing hard to see in the picture for me is if there is enough room behind the arches to reach if needed as well as enough easy clearance for fish to swim through the arches? The right arch has space around it, but it is hard to confirm on the central arch. It might be fine, since the angle of the picture appears to make the space look smaller than it really is.

Flow issues seem hard to assess from pictures, but your structures look open enough to allow flow all around if you appropriately place flow generators.

OP
OP
LeftFootedJedi

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call out. I do need to move everything forward 1-2”.

Regarding the lbs, I’m with you in that. I fully intended to buy 60lbs, but only found 40lbs so far. But when I started playing with it.. I wondered how I’d squeeze another 1/3 (20lbs) in there?

I’ve seen other established tanks with far more than 1lb/1 gallon & some with less. Made me wonder if that’s just an old wives tale.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far. Does the card board represent the bottom of the tank. If so try to maintain at least 3” along glass for cleaning, more depending on what you will have for corals. Agree that may be difficult to add more rock unless you do small islands in the front.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call out. I do need to move everything forward 1-2”.

Regarding the lbs, I’m with you in that. I fully intended to buy 60lbs, but only found 40lbs so far. But when I started playing with it.. I wondered how I’d squeeze another 1/3 (20lbs) in there?

I’ve seen other established tanks with far more than 1lb/1 gallon & some with less. Made me wonder if that’s just an old wives tale.
There is no hard rule about pounds of rock per gallon, just suggestions based on typical bioload. If you stock lightly, you will not need as much rock as a heavily-stocked tank. If you want to stock a lot of fish, one way to include more rock or other biofiltration is to put it in an attached sump that allows for additional biofiltration without costing display tank space.

Looking good so far. Does the card board represent the bottom of the tank. If so try to maintain at least 3” along glass for cleaning, more depending on what you will have for corals. Agree that may be difficult to add more rock unless you do small islands in the front.
+1 on the islands possibility to include a bit more rock and +1 on the 3" clearance.

OP
OP
LeftFootedJedi

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does but will definitely move things forward a bit, I just wanted a rough idea.

I like the idea about the added rock in the sump. I planned on a refugium so I could add it there for sure.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back