New Tank Set Up and Cycle process? Innovative Marine NUVO SR Pro 2 | 60 AIO Aquarium

Beez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, my tank is scheduled for delivery this coming Monday Jan 31st. I've brand NEW to the process and just want to start off on the right foot.
Innovative Marine NUVO SR Pro 2 | 60 AIO Aquarium

First of MANY questions ... after I build the tank and fill with tap water to test for leaks ...
1. How long should I let it sit for the leak test?
2. Next - after I build the Dry Rock aquascape and fill tank with Saltwater do I need to add a heater during the cycle process?
3. And is there anything else I need to add other than that or it's time to sit and wait a few months?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I never do leak test so honestly I'm not sure but I guarantee you there are other threads on it.

2. Yes you want a heater. You can set it a little higher to 81 or 82 or so to help speed up the cycle but 78 is fine.

3. Yes you need a bottle of cycling bacteria and an ammonia source (I prefer ammonium chloride as you know the exact numbers making it easier to track). Common products are dr tims one and only, bio Spira, fritz turbo start or their normal cycling bacteria (409 I think?), microbacter 7 (a little different), or any of the other numerous brands (any will do) This takes about 1-2 weeks and then you can add a fish (after a water change). I HIGHLY recommend after getting the first fish to add something like waste away (gel is convienient) or microbacter clean) during this period to minimize the ugly phase.

PS remember to take out the filter socks, carbon, etc. for the first few days of cycling.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back