New Tank Setup - Need Sand suggestion - Arag-live or other

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am getting back into the hobby and setting up a new tank and am looking for suggestions of what sand to use. The Rock I am using is Dry Rock so I will need to cycle the tank. Is Arag-Live beneficial or am I better of with regular sand such as Caribsea Special Grade Reef Dry Aragonite? Or a different product? I am not planning on putting Live Rock in from a different tank or store.

any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, supposedly "live" sand in a bag is much more a fiction than it is a fact. Is there some surviving bacteria in it? Maybe. Can you seed your dry sand with a cup or so of actual live sand from another system? YES, and for a fraction of the price. Or, just wait. It will become live soon enough without any extra expense from you.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, supposedly "live" sand in a bag is much more a fiction than it is a fact. Is there some surviving bacteria in it? Maybe. Can you seed your dry sand with a cup or so of actual live sand from another system? YES, and for a fraction of the price. Or, just wait. It will become live soon enough without any extra expense from you.
Yes, that is what seem people have said to me..if it is in a sealed bag, how can it be "live" ...with that said, what would you recommend for the latest trend for sand product?...is Caribsea Special Grade Aragonite still the most popular?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 120DT with sugar fine sand because at least IMO, it is very similar to what I've seen while diving. About 2 years later I took it out and replaced it with Special grade and don't regret it at all. The sugar fine got pushed around by the power heads so much that the front 1/3 of the tank was essentially BB while the back 1/3 had 4-6" built up. The special grade pretty much stays put and is easy to clean with my python siphon so that it doesn't become a problem down the road.

hth!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the sand you like.
Tropic Eden makes a nice selection of different sands You can even mix them depending on flow and livestock requirements. Bacteria in a bottle to start your cycle. Fritz Turbo 900 is a good one

Back