New tank should i move sump to cabinet or leave in closet

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my current tank 46 gallon tank and cabinet didnt fit my sump under it, so i have it setup in the back of a closet in another room. but now im upgrading to a 75 gallon and builiding the stand.

should i put the sump in the new cabinet or leave in the other closet?

the tank is in my office, so i figured to cut down on the extra noise (which im not a big fan of) i would keep the sump in the closet, what do you think?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the closet has proper ventilation I would probably keep it in there. Without seeing the actual setup it seems like you have more room to work in there

OP
OP
M

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either is fine assuming the closet airs out some I would guess
it currently doesnt. i never actually ran the sump in the closet, i just set it up in there, i figured normally when the sump is in the cabinet, it has nowhere to breathe anyway
As long as the closet has proper ventilation I would probably keep it in there. Without seeing the actual setup it seems like you have more room to work in there
if actually doesn’t have anywhere to vent out. I just assumed since under the cabinet usually doesn’t either it would be fine…

is it going to potentially ruin the 50 board games and books and things I have in the closet over time?

Attachments

• 445B0030-ACF4-48CE-8CB4-AD6FCE83B0BF.jpeg
    445B0030-ACF4-48CE-8CB4-AD6FCE83B0BF.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 31

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it currently doesnt. i never actually ran the sump in the closet, i just set it up in there, i figured normally when the sump is in the cabinet, it has nowhere to breathe anyway

if actually doesn’t have anywhere to vent out. I just assumed since under the cabinet usually doesn’t either it would be fine…

is it going to potentially ruin the 50 board games and books and things I have in the closet over time?
I would say the board games would be the least of the worries and if it’s not getting any ventilation the humidity alone could cause prime mold breeding grounds on or behind the walls or something. I would say maybe get a battery power bathroom fan and set it up in there? Maybe a small cpu fan or something I’m just guessing at ways to move some air around in there

OP
OP
M

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the board games would be the least of the worries and if it’s not getting any ventilation the humidity alone could cause prime mold breeding grounds on or behind the walls or something. I would say maybe get a battery power bathroom fan and set it up in there? Maybe a small cpu fan or something I’m just guessing at ways to move some air around in there
does just moving the air around in there get rid of the humidity/mold issues?

im guessing i would need to do the same in tank cabinet too (if i end up with the sump in stand)?

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does just moving the air around in there get rid of the humidity/mold issues?

im guessing i would need to do the same in tank cabinet too (if i end up with the sump in stand)?
Yes moving air around helps with moisture, most cabinets have a cutout to allow it to breath so there isn’t a bunch of “stale” air. A fan isn’t required but I have seen guys install fans when they have lots of power bars in there just to help with heat and not really for moisture at that point

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two other considerations that I didn't see others mention

1) putting under new tank will put alot more stress on your floor. Before, you had the weight of a 45G and sump spread over a much larger area. Now you have a heavier 75G plus sump all stacked in a smaller area. Depending on the size of your sump. I'd expect somewhere between 400 to 500 extra pounds of weight in the new DTs foot print

2) putting under new tank will reduce the head pressure of the return pump. This will increase the GPH quite a bit, or, can allow you to use a smaller pump, which frees up valuable sump space.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote to keep the sump remote to save the under tank space for the tank things that need storage.

This does require having some ventilation for the closet. A bathroom air exchange would do well. Could tie it in to an existing run if needed.

OP
OP
M

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im gonna try it out in the closet (so i save the space under tank for buckets and such) and keep the noise down..

i just bought a couple cpu fans that plug in, i will try to position them in a way they vent out in between or under the closet doors, and i have a humidity checker i will keep in there, if its too high or i notice any mold or anything i will vent out the back of the closet to the outside of house. thanks for all tips.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back