New tank - stocking order checklist

dorz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I've just set up my second marine aquarium which is a bare bottom 5ftx2ftx2ft 170 gallon (total system volume) aquarium and it's at the stage where I'm ready to get the first fish. Just for reference, my first aquarium is a 90Gal LPS dominated with a few 'easy' SPS i.e I'm not a complete beginner and am looking to progress into mainly SPS with this new one.

After weeks of refinement, this is what I'm looking at getting:

Group 1

6 x Carberryi Anthias - saw a brilliant thread on here about Anthias which helped me decide having never had Anthias before.

Group 2

1 x Royal Gramma
1 x Scarlett Hawkfish
1 x Dusky Yellow Tail Blenny

Group 3

1 x Orchard Dottyback
1 x Starcki Damsel
2 x Clarkii Clown Fish (No nem)

Group 4

2 x Convict Tang
1 x Yellow Tang
1 x Yellow Eye Kole Tang
1 x Flame Angel (still not 100% sure about this one given the coral situation)

I plan to QT everything as I usually do but for the first time I'd like to use CP, I must admit I've not done my research into the compatibility of this with most of the fish I have in this list but will in due course and adjust my strategy accordingly subject to what I learn. I just wanted to know right now if my stocking order and general list looked ok?

I have two QT tanks available so if I was to get the 6 Anthias in the main display first and leave them to settle in for a while I could then put Groups 2 and 3, (which would be in separate QT tanks) in the main display at the same time as each other. Would this be sensible? As there's fish in those groups which I see squabbling until they all get to know their place with each other. So my thinking is if they all go in at the same time its a level playing field for them all.

Also can a tank this size house 4 tangs?

Thanks for looking, any input / 2nd opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no on the 4 tangs. I've had 3 in my 185gl at times & it seemed to small they can grow pretty quick.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the two convicts?

That grouping of tang species should be ok together if added at the same time, and last as you have it.

The flame angel will be hit or miss on coral nipping.

The royal gramma, starcki, and dottyback could all be territorial / aggressive, so if you want to try it, you should also try to add them at the same time. I'm keeping a starcki and two orchid dottybacks together in a well stocked 220g, and there are no issues but they each have a part of the tank that they defend.

Are you adding two immature male clowns?

No experience with the other fish on your list. You could also post you list here, I've learned a lot from this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...for-your-tank-post-here-and-well-help.200605/

OP
OP
D

dorz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the two convicts?

That grouping of tang species should be ok together if added at the same time, and last as you have it.

The flame angel will be hit or miss on coral nipping.

The royal gramma, starcki, and dottyback could all be territorial / aggressive, so if you want to try it, you should also try to add them at the same time. I'm keeping a starcki and two orchid dottybacks together in a well stocked 220g, and there are no issues but they each have a part of the tank that they defend.

Are you adding two immature male clowns?

No experience with the other fish on your list. You could also post you list here, I've learned a lot from this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...for-your-tank-post-here-and-well-help.200605/

I just like the convicts to be honest plus I've read that out of them and the yellows, the yellows can sometimes put convicts in their place so I figure if that was to be an issue there's two of them to spread out the bickering. I'm not desperate for 2 convict tangs in this size tank however. Thinking of it now though 4 Tangs does seems a lot for a 5fter when their max size comes into the equation so maybe I'll drop one of the convicts.

I've got a sunrise dottyback in my 4fter and he's one mean SOB but very timid at the table which is odd. Everything I've read about the Orchid dottyback suggests they're nothing like as aggressive as the majority of other dottybacks hence why I went for one of them.

The two clowns will either be two small males or bought as a mated pair, this is how I bought my two pink skunk clowns before and they are still together :).

Thanks for the link too, I'll be sure to post on that thread.

Here is my updated list minus 1 convict and flame angel:

Group 1

6 x Carberryi Anthias - saw a brilliant thread on here about Anthias which helped me decide having never had Anthias before.

Group 2

1 x Royal Gramma
1 x Scarlett Hawkfish
1 x Dusky Yellow Tail Blenny

Group 3

1 x Orchard Dottyback
1 x Starcki Damsel
2 x Clarkii Clown Fish (No nem, bought as mated pair or two small males if not)

Group 4

1 x Convict Tang
1 x Yellow Tang
1 x Yellow Eye Kole Tang

Last edited:

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, the mated pair of clowns (if that is what you do) may be more aggressive than two males that haven't paired up yet. Not sure that would make a difference in the stocking order though. I wonder if it would actually help the clowns face off against the damsel if they were a mated pair to begin with? It's a relatively big tank, might not be an issue either way. People who have more experience will help you out in that other thread!

Remos reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best tangs for that size or 1 yellow

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201206-092021_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201206-092021_Chrome.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 30

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back