New tank syndrome or something else?

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody got a couple of questions or concerns maybe.

I have a 25 gallon IM lagoon reef tank that I have set up, the tank has been running for about 2 and a half months. I only use distilled or ro-di water. Recently I have started only using RODI water from my lfs. "my apartment wont let me setup a ro-di system" I do weekly water changes of about 4 to 5 gallons and do the occasional 1 gallon in the middle of the week.

I run my lights for about 7 to 9 hours every day, I feed my corals about 3 times a week and ALWAYS do a water change after the feeding "to keep the food pollution down"
MY corals and inhabitants are all doing great. My duncan coral is growing another head and very healthy, my zoa's are growing fast as heck and my hammer is doing very well.

For my fish my 2 clownfish are healthy as all get out along with my fire fish goby. That is it for livestock..............now time for the million dollar question.

WHAT IN TARNATION IS THIS??????????
I have noticed a huge increase in algae growing all over my tank, now ive heard that new tanks go through these stages of ugly, but I want to know now so incase if its not normal I can try and get ahead of the algae outbreak. I know its not bubble algae, and its not gha. So im scared to know if its bryopsis. I really hope not cause ive heard its impossible to get rid of. But Ill post pictures and my parameters are all in check, but ive read that bryopsis can show up even if your tank is all good.

Thanks for reading this and thank you for helping me out and always

-HAPPY REEFING :)

20201023_160355.jpg 20201023_160419.jpg

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running white lights for 7-9 hours?
Did you start the tank with Dry Rock or Live Rock?
The corals you say you have in the tank will really do ok without whiter light. Blue'er lights grow less algae typically.

My suggestion...
Blow things off before waterchanges. Vaccuum the gravel while doing water changes. A while after blowing offand vacuuming then change/clean your filter floss, or sump socks, or whatever your specific tank has.

It looks to me like excess nutrients paired with high white light allowing algae to grow wildly.

It's also part of a new saltwater tank, but should be controllable given enough elbow grease and attention by you.

OP
OP
Caleb M

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running white lights for 7-9 hours?
Did you start the tank with Dry Rock or Live Rock?
The corals you say you have in the tank will really do ok without whiter light. Blue'er lights grow less algae typically.

My suggestion...
Blow things off before waterchanges. Vaccuum the gravel while doing water changes. A while after blowing offand vacuuming then change/clean your filter floss, or sump socks, or whatever your specific tank has.

It looks to me like excess nutrients paired with high white light allowing algae to grow wildly.

It's also part of a new saltwater tank, but should be controllable given enough elbow grease and attention by you.
Im running kindof a light blue light, I can adjust it to be really blue but im running that for 7-9 hours. should I try and get the darkest blue I can do? or should I do a in between color?

I also started out with dry rock.

But i will defintly do that. Thank you for the help!!!!!

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running kindof a light blue light, I can adjust it to be really blue but im running that for 7-9 hours. should I try and get the darkest blue I can do? or should I do a in between color?

I also started out with dry rock.

But i will defintly do that. Thank you for the help!!!!!
I’m thinking Chemiclean and go dark for 2-3 days. Looks like Cyano. New tanks always have a risk of algae. You don’t need 9 hrs of light either. Less is more and your blues are probably enough.

It looks like Cyano but it’s hard to see.

OP
OP
Caleb M

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking Chemiclean and go dark for 2-3 days. Looks like Cyano. New tanks always have a risk of algae. You don’t need 9 hrs of light either. Less is more and your blues are probably enough.

It looks like Cyano but it’s hard to see.
Ill grab some of that tomorrow, and what about the corals? dont those little suckers need light? like a lot of it?

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ill grab some of that tomorrow, and what about the corals? dont those little suckers need light? like a lot of it?

When storms go over the ocean, sometimes corals are without light for days on end...it doesn't hurt them.

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is red, and is what Chemiclean removes. That's green and most likely just basic hair algae at this point. Starting with Dry Rock opens you up to much more algae blooms and such as your tank matures. People typically don't tell you that until after you're having problems.

In my opinion "having a hitchhiker free tank" isn't worth the hassle and extra maturing time. Not to mention once you start adding corals, chaeto and the plethora of other things you're going to end up with 'things" anyhow.

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When storms go over the ocean, sometimes corals are without light for days on end...it doesn't hurt them.
Yup lights out 4 days. They’ll pop back I just went through a Cyano out break. The color through me and LFS off. But it was indeed Cyano. Yours looks different but certain parts tell me Cyano. You could have both. Go Lights out. If that dosent work Chemiclean. That’s my opinion.
Cyano is red, and is what Chemiclean removes. That's green and most likely just basic hair algae at this point. Starting with Dry Rock opens you up to much more algae blooms and such as your tank matures. People typically don't tell you that until after you're having problems.

In my opinion "having a hitchhiker free tank" isn't worth the hassle and extra maturing time. Not to mention once you start adding corals, chaeto and the plethora of other things you're going to end up with 'things" anyhow.
Not true I just set up another tank a Fluval 13.5G. I thought I had GHA. It fooled some forums and 2 LFS. I was getting ready to dose with hydrogen peroxide. When I figured out it was Cyano. It was a bright green. Did the Chemiclean the tank was spotless in 48 hrs everything bounced back.

Cyano is usually red but trust me not always. You could get green or brown. Normally it’s green in freshwater.

Before ChemiClean - it spread.
FE77E751-C820-4057-B825-5C4E7851CFBD.jpeg

After ChemiClean
C1936653-006E-4BE2-B986-60F62C611327.jpeg

That’s 2 days. Maybe 3. Don’t rule it out unless you got a microscope.

Last edited:

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank mostly, when you state you can’t setup an RODI, they can screw straight into a standard tap...I would try that, the Chemiclean, and drop lights for a few days...
Yup I agree. New Tanks always get something. That and yeah you could do the screw in tap Rodi. Other option is what I do for a living. Lol you could buy 5 gallon jugs from a Home Depot. I deliver it. Only reason I do this method is because I work their and I don’t pay much. Purified water is RO with trace amounts of Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium injected back good for the corals. I use it for ATO and water top offs since 2012 when I decided Petco couldn’t pay me enough to take care of their tanks. Lol.
A9158DA8-884C-4117-9803-67AB29597A5E.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back