New tank what supplemental lights to add

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a standard 75g, but just bought a planet 120 (48x24x25). I have 2 xr15 g5 blues and figure with the 24“ depth I will need something to add for shadowing / more even par. Not sure a 3rd g5 really gains me anything. The question is what without breaking the bank. This is for a mixed reef. I will make my own mounting. I like the the power consumption of leds ( strips). There are a lot of options and do I need dimmable? I have looked at the t5 retro kit, thinking 1 bulb front and back? Any advice / pics of a lighting on your 120 would be great.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a standard 75g, but just bought a planet 120 (48x24x25). I have 2 xr15 g5 blues and figure with the 24“ depth I will need something to add for shadowing / more even par. Not sure a 3rd g5 really gains me anything. The question is what without breaking the bank. This is for a mixed reef. I will make my own mounting. I like the the power consumption of leds ( strips). There are a lot of options and do I need dimmable? I have looked at the t5 retro kit, thinking 1 bulb front and back? Any advice / pics of a lighting on your 120 would be great.
What kind of par are you getting at the moment with the 2 running

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't go wrong with a pair of blue plus T5 bulbs. I really like my orphek LED blue bar otherwise if you decide to go that route.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may just want to start with the pair of XR15s and see how happy you are. I get 100 PAR at the bottom of my tank (500 PAR at the surface) with my Radions mounted 8-9” above the surface (my tank depth and height are roughly the same as yours). This is at somewhere between 45-50% intensity.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth I’m running a single radion xr30 on my 55 gallon-(I have 2 xr15 pros but haven’t had to add them on yet. I only have 5 coral- branching hammer, yeayamenis, clove polyp, finger leather and toadstool leather. All coral is new-ish to me and the coral are doing better then they were at the LFS. My thoughts were to add more light if something isn’t happy. I’ve NOT tested my par yet. I need to get a par meter but I’m sure I’m running on the low side and stuff is doing well

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 retro kit with blue plus bulbs. One in front, one in the back. Could also run 2 led bars. There several on the market to choose from.

OP
OP
S

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke down on Black Friday and bought the aquatic life 48” led supplement kit. Played with it briefly over the empty 120 and it looks like it will be really nice. I like the t5 matching color options. Pics and more info will follow.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back