new tank

howard1818

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've decided on a Planet Aquarium 90 gallon 36x24x25 tank and stand for my first saltwater venture. I've been recommended an Eshopps RS 100 sump and Reef Octopus skimmer. Any thoughts from the more experienced? Thanks in advance ps going to be fish only

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how exciting! Go big or go home huh? I'm running a 90 mixed reef. I have a Reef Octopus 150 and that thing works like a beast! No complaints or problems at all with it. Getting great skimmate out of it so I know it's doing it's job. I've had it two years. As far as a sump, I had a custom built bite off of a Eshopps and loved the design of it but unfortunately DIY isn't always the way to go since it blew out after about a year. Now running a Bio Marine Bio 36. LOVE IT! Plenty of room, running a fuge in there with some live rock and the skimmer and still have left over space. Runs great, nice sleek lines and it's pretty solid as far as build and quality. It's been running for about 2 1/2 months.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've decided on a Planet Aquarium 90 gallon 36x24x25 tank and stand for my first saltwater venture. I've been recommended an Eshopps RS 100 sump and Reef Octopus skimmer. Any thoughts from the more experienced? Thanks in advance ps going to be fish only
Hello! I'm running an Eshopps RS 200 sump under my 90 gallon mixed reef. Lots and lots of room in there for equipment and for water that runs back down into the sump during pump shutdowns. Really like it so far and highly recommend their products. Also running Eshopps Eclipse overflow. Lots of room for adjustment and peace of mind.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a good start:)
Lighting do not skimp T5 or LED's or a combination
Pumps/power heads. Mp 40 or gyre's or a combination
Controller also do not skimp. There are a couple on the market that do a great job
Dosing pump/Pumps

OP
OP
H

howard1818

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how exciting! Go big or go home huh? I'm running a 90 mixed reef. I have a Reef Octopus 150 and that thing works like a beast! No complaints or problems at all with it. Getting great skimmate out of it so I know it's doing it's job. I've had it two years. As far as a sump, I had a custom built bite off of a Eshopps and loved the design of it but unfortunately DIY isn't always the way to go since it blew out after about a year. Now running a Bio Marine Bio 36. LOVE IT! Plenty of room, running a fuge in there with some live rock and the skimmer and still have left over space. Runs great, nice sleek lines and it's pretty solid as far as build and quality. It's been running for about 2 1/2 months.
I like where your head's at, I've been thinking to get everything I can oversized as well. Thanks for taking the time

OP
OP
H

howard1818

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a good start:)
Lighting do not skimp T5 or LED's or a combination
Pumps/power heads. Mp 40 or gyre's or a combination
Controller also do not skimp. There are a couple on the market that do a great job
Dosing pump/Pumps
thanks thinking of a Current Orbit with controller, I'll check out those powerheads

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks thinking of a Current Orbit with controller, I'll check out those powerheads
Had the current light and needed to upgrade to a stronger light;)

OP
OP
H

howard1818

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the current light and needed to upgrade to a stronger light;)
it looks like now you can add another one and I have been looking at a Kessil they have the new smaller ones and I was thinking maybe 2 of those would cover it

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessils are good lights. I went back and forth and finally went with the Hydra 26 Hd's for controllability and price.

OP
OP
H

howard1818

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Planet Aquarium is finally on order 36x25x25 90 gallons and going with the Eshopps RS100 and Orbit lights to start, any suggestions on what should go in the sump? Lots of info out there. I'm doing fish only aggressive fish pretty low load I'm thinking, going also with Real Reef rock. thanks

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider finding room for either the plates or balls or cubes of Marine Pure in your sump. I like it.
204111-marine-pure-ceramic-biomedia-plate-block-a.jpg

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Planet Aquarium is finally on order 36x25x25 90 gallons and going with the Eshopps RS100 and Orbit lights to start, any suggestions on what should go in the sump? Lots of info out there. I'm doing fish only aggressive fish pretty low load I'm thinking, going also with Real Reef rock. thanks
So what made you change your mind about the lights? I have 3 Kessel
A150 deep blues on my 90g. They are older and not adjustable like the newer models but I find them to be good. Newer ones are much better. Curious about your decision on orbits as I might be changing out my lighting in the near future. ETA: Also as far as your sump, I LOVE having macro in mine. Helps alot with nitrate reduction. I also have some smaller pieces of live rock in there for "extra" biological filtration.

OP
OP
H

howard1818

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what made you change your mind about the lights? I have 3 Kesselpric
A150 deep blues on my 90g. They are older and not adjustable like the newer models but I find them to be good. Newer ones are much better. Curious about your decision on orbits as I might be changing out my lighting in the near future. ETA: Also as far as your sump, I LOVE having macro in mine. Helps alot with nitrate reduction. I also have some smaller pieces of live rock in there for "extra" biological filtration.
price and it comes with a controller plus I can add another strip if need be and I like the shimmer from the Kessels but I like be able to make the Orbits into moonlights as well. Since I'm doing fish only should be ok.

OP
OP
H

howard1818

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still having a hard time deciding on lighting for this 36x24x25 tank, like the price of the orbits with the controller but like the shimmer of the more expensive units, looking at kessil and AI thanks for any opinions, tank is on the way so I need to decide pretty quickly

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back