New tank

goldenreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello i just got a 30 gallon reef aquarium and wanted to know if this brown algae like substance in normal iv been doing some research and it appears to me that this is cyanobacteria. Iv had the tank for about 1 week and 2 days. I have live rock live sand also been adding bacteria to the tank even though i have heard its useless but since i got it why not use it also have one greenstar polyp coral and a zoanthrope coral and they seem to be doing great for lighting i have an a can 600 and giveing the tank about 12 hours a day with light with a complete night cycle. I just wnat to know of this is a normal stage in my tank or what i should do to prevent any more mistakes i know i moved pretty fast can anyone help please.
image.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your goal now is to keep temp, salinity, nitrate and phosphate in normal ranges all the time.
Salinity 1.025-1.026
Temp 78
Nitrate 1-5ppm
Phosphate 0.05-.1ppm
Maintain these with a good water change schedule.
The least change the better.
Let her mature.

OP
OP
G

goldenreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much i have a test kit and my amonia levels are at .25 witch i know obviously is not in the good range for fish im doing my best to help the tank cycle.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s difficult not to move forward, but in this hobby, time is your best partner.
You can always toss in a bottle of bacteria which does speed the process somewhat, but as long as you provide an ammonia source, it will happen. Ammonia will zero, nitrite will zero, nitrate will increase. Cycled.
Each time you add a fish, let ammonia processing catch up, say 2 weeks, then add another, and so on.

Least aggressive fish first.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great so i should get at least a clownfish then ?

When ammonia and nitrite stay zero for a couple of days.
Yup, two small 1/2” same species (easier) and colour (easiest) have good chance to pair. One will turn to a female in about 12-20 weeks.

Pairs of these are very common..

OP
OP
G

goldenreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super interesting thank you for the information as far as the corals that i have in the tank they look like they are thriveing they open every morning and close up at night super interesting i know i moved pretty quick but they seem to be doing great!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back