New tank!

goldenreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello im new to saltwater aquariums and i just got me a 30 gallon iv had it for about 1 week and 2 days i have live rock live sand and also have been adding bacteria to the tank even though i have heard it is useless i have it now so why not use it. Also have a red leg crab as well as a blue one green star polyp coral and one zoanthrope i know i moved pretty quick and now i have a brown looking like algae substance thats growing over the sand bed to my acknowledgement its cyanobacteria from the research that iv done now my question is. Is this safe or normal for a new tank to go through ? Should i let it be and just let it cycle or should i do anything to prevent this from happening ? Need some help please and thank you!

image.jpg

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reefing community. Let it run it's course as part of the cycling process. I would recommend slowing down until the system is able to stabilize and stay stable. Eventually a dosing regimen will have to be implemented, but that will come in time, but for the time being I would continue reading up and doing research.
Bacteria has been a topic of debate, but in my opinion I would continue to add as needed. Hope that helps, best of luck, and again welcome to reefing.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Means you are doing things right so far :D Welcome to the ugly phase! Haha

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back