New Tenuis Release Name Game! Help us name this Tenuis for a free frag!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SBB 'Caspian Craze' is my entry. The colors are a romantic, delicate mix of pinks and purples with yellow coralites that remind me of gold medals on a prince's coat.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The name game detracts from the sophisticated use of scientific names. Why can’t it be called what it is?

These names seem to only be used to drive up costs of coral.

The name game is a disservice to the hobby.
Ok, let me have it.....bring on the haters!
It does but it also gives it something to go by. Do you call your dog or cat by their scientific name? The name game only works if it stays true and other companies don't give something that looks the same the same name when it's not. I think that's the true problem. Companies just name things that are already named for decades but if they have it they give it another name. It's honestly disheartening to see.

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does but it also gives it something to go by. Do you call your dog or cat by their scientific name? The name game only works if it stays true and other companies don't give something that looks the same the same name when it's not. I think that's the true problem. Companies just name things that are already named for decades but if they have it they give it another name. It's honestly disheartening to see.
I agree with your point that multiple names is an issue. Companies just name things a popular name if it “looks like” a popular coral.
I’ve seen so many corals misnamed in order to boost price, only to find that it is not a Walt Disney or whatever’s price boosting name.
Even local reefers will call a tort, west coast, Cali, Oregon etc....but locally it’s been the same tort off the same mother colony.
It’s a dirty game. And paying for a name is stupidity.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with your point that multiple names is an issue. Companies just name things a popular name if it “looks like” a popular coral.
I’ve seen so many corals misnamed in order to boost price, only to find that it is not a Walt Disney or whatever’s price boosting name.
Even local reefers will call a tort, west coast, Cali, Oregon etc....but locally it’s been the same tort off the same mother colony.
It’s a dirty game. And paying for a name is stupidity.
Exactly. It's ruining the "power" of the original names. If they keep lineage then names are great. But if companies **earth diverse corals** cough cough wink are going to just slap names and mark up the price 10000 percent it just hurts the hobby

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The name game detracts from the sophisticated use of scientific names. Why can’t it be called what it is?

These names seem to only be used to drive up costs of coral.

The name game is a disservice to the hobby.
Ok, let me have it.....bring on the haters!
I think this argument applies to chop shops naming wild/maircultured pieces as a money grab.

This vendor has been acclimating these pieces (tenuis are not easy to make hardy from wild maricultured pieces) to tank life and coloring them up to max potential under hobbyist lighting during the process. They stated for the last year in this case.

In my opinion that deserves a name for lineage purposes to better ID the acropora. The market combined with the vendors reputation for quality dictates the price, not the name alone.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back