New thing popped up

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've pulled some if this off, thinking it was young bubble algae, but I don't think that's what it is. Ideas? Green mushroom-shaped thing with fleshy runners.

16425447064465760570775944678469.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drag. Keep pulling it out then? I got the hair algae under control doing that. Anything more dramatic required here?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I understand it, is you have to make sure to get the roots otherwise it comes back

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I understand it, is you have to make sure to get the roots otherwise it comes back
This is correct. Cheap dental pic set and siphoning while picking it out works great. It is a very invasive algae and shoots roots deep in the rocks.

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is correct. Cheap dental pic set and siphoning while picking it out works great. It is a very invasive algae and shoots roots deep in the rocks.
OK then. I was hesitant to use a siphon to pull out the hair algae. Didn't feel good about it going down the drain. Pulled it by hand and put it in the trash. Unfounded worry?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK then. I was hesitant to use a siphon to pull out the hair algae. Didn't feel good about it going down the drain. Pulled it by hand and put it in the trash. Unfounded worry?
It can be a waste of water. I suggest using a filter sock to catch water and then put algae free water back in tank.

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be a waste of water. I suggest using a filter sock to catch water and then put algae free water back in tank.
Well I would do it during the regular water change. Wouldn't be wasting any more water than usual. Was more worried about the algae itself. But a filter sock over the end of the siphon sounds like a good Idea.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back