New Tiger Pistol Shrimp Attacking Yellow Watchmen Goby!

Suggestions?

• Total voters

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently introduced a tiger pistol shrimp to a 75 gallon tank with a small yellow watchman goby already in it. They seemed to have paired on day 1 but the goby is now constantly out of the hole. I have noticed new fresh bruises today and later noticed that when the goby got close to the shrimp's hole, the shrimp started pinching it! The yellow watchman goby wasn't doing the best before adding the shrimp either, it is pretty weak and skinny. Any advice for what I should do?

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the goby out and fatten it up. No need to replace.
Are you sure it’s a tiger shrimp? It could be the non pairing kind.
Pics of both?
Pics of both would help for sure.
Fattening it up in a separate holder sounds solid but how do I set that up? Would a HOB filter work? I think I can get pics of the goby if it comes out but the pistol shrimp has never came out of the cave under a rock. Only slightly out but I don't know if I can get a picture of that without it darting back and even if I do get a slight picture of it peeking, will that be enough to ID it?

Edit: I am 100% sure its a YWG because of it's shape, color, and the little light blue dots over it's head area. It's just pretty dang small like 1 inches long and skinny with some bruises over it. 85% sure with the shrimp that its a tiger as it was white with brown stripes and that one claw was larger than the other

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a hang-on breeder box. It's a mesh container that hangs inside your tank, and you can put critters in it. Be sure the critters have hiding spots. A HOB filter is way too much turbulence, and probably the pump vibrations up that close would be an issue.
I will consider it

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question would be, was the shrimp actually pinching, or was it just touching the goby with its claws? They do feel things out.
Ok so here is exactly what happened. Goby swam to shrimp's tunnel openning. Shrimp came behind it and started snipping it's tail. Goby darts away after and the tail fin is now ripped.

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason were asking for pics, I've seen petco and a few other places, sell "tiger pistol" shrimp, that weren't even close.

Which by your description, this may well be what you have.
photos or it never happened.
Description is definitely a tiger. Hob filter works for my qt tank.
1628191758304.png
1628191725840.png

Here it is... took out part of the scape. The snapping claw came off while trying to catch it with a net. It will grow back and be fine right?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They can regrow a snapping claw after a molt, yes, though it may take a couple molts.

I'm not sure that's a tiger pistol. Tiger pistols are usually more orangeish.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back