New Tiger Pistol Shrimp Attacking Yellow Watchmen Goby!

Suggestions?

• Total voters

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might not be a tiger but should still be a pistol right? The claw is detached

On pistols I think the RIGHT claw is the claw that snaps and I think that's Uniform amung hte speciecs.

Looks like the left claw on this guy is bigger.

Don';t quote me that' sjust what I randomly remember.

Edit: totally missed the claw in the photo. That's so sad.

I don't know if it'll grow back, I've never had to deal with it, but I'm 90% sure it will, crabs and shrimps are pros at that.

It is cocked like a pistol shrimp too. Did you do that? Or it just came off like that?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's definitely a pistol shrimp. The snapping claw can be on either side depending on individual and molt, and I've even seen a picture of one with two snapping claws, but does tend to be consistent between species. All shrimp with that massive shooting claw are pistol shrimps.

Trouble is, not all pistol shrimps pair with gobies. That's your problem- the poor goby went to try and make friends, and this pistol saw an intruder. That's not a tiger pistol at all, though I can see why someone might mistake it for one at first glance.

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks guys. What should I do with it now?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210214_151101.jpg

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was sold to me as a tiger pistol. I'm relatively new to this hobby so I didn't really notice. It costed me $20. Should I take it back and ask for a refund and say that its not a tiger pistol and that it was attacking my goby? But now that it's claw is detached, they have an excuse...

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could take it back and ask for a refund, and if they won't take it, you could try to find someone else who wants it. I doubt you'll find many takers, though. If no one wants it, humanely euthanize it with clove oil.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On pistols I think the RIGHT claw is the claw that snaps and I think that's Uniform amung hte speciecs.

My tiger lost his snapping claw and they actually switched sides. His regular claw turned into a snapping claw and the missing snapping claw regrew as a regular claw so definitely not universal. Took two molts.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those guys actually go as “Randalli’s Pistol or Randals Pistol and they normally pair in nature with Randals Goby.
That’s what I see too. Randall’s shrimp will pair with most of the gobies, though is generally seen with the smaller guys, while tigers are with bigger gobies.
Candy canes are less destructive.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I see too. Randall’s shrimp will pair with most of the gobies, though is generally seen with the smaller guys, while tigers are with bigger gobies.
Candy canes are less destructive.
Hmmmm

maybe this is why my Yasha and Tiger have been having trouble.

I think he kicked him out 2 days ago (new addition) but I ushered the Yasha back into the burrow and haven’t seen either since…

I’m hoping they work it out .

Speaking of randals shrimp and goby though I had a randals goby with the tiger shrimp until he jumped ship and commuted suicide.

Back