New to 3d printing and need some knowledge

Gordos_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I been looking at a few project people been doing on 3d printers and now I want one. What are things I would need and whats a good printer I seen alot of endover printers I think thats name. Lol are they any good and what material would I need to be able to make things for saltwater tank the would be reef safe

Zerodameaon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy a Ender 3, you will just end up upgrading it to be similar to the Ender 3 Pro or Ender 3 V2 Neo, start there. Also get a enclosure to go around it so you can print ABS or ASA, they are also both generally reef safe like PETG.

This is coming from someone with a Voron V2.4 who has seen a number of friends struggle with the Ender 3, upgrade it to similar to the Pro or V2 Neo but its never quite as good. They eventually end up buying stuff to build a Voron but they always keep their Ender around.

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy a Ender 3, you will just end up upgrading it to be similar to the Ender 3 Pro or Ender 3 V2 Neo, start there. Also get a enclosure to go around it so you can print ABS or ASA, they are also both generally reef safe like PETG.

This is coming from someone with a Voron V2.4 who has seen a number of friends struggle with the Ender 3, upgrade it to similar to the Pro or V2 Neo but its never quite as good. They eventually end up buying stuff to build a Voron but they always keep their Ender around.
I was looking at the ender 3 pro after reading more about it. What do you mean by enclosure?

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are basically large boxes you can get to put the printer in that keeps drafts which will help keep warping down. A closet can do a similar thing.
I was gonna throw it in my garage. how much do one of these run and do you have a reccomendation?
I use a Sovol svo2 and have really had good luck with it, but it's all I have used and have no comparison. For reef stuff I use PETG exclusively.
I was gonna run PETG exclusively I read its the safest and I am not gonna be the one to test the limits with that

Zerodameaon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna throw it in my garage. how much do one of these run and do you have a reccomendation?
If the garage gets under around 70f it is likely a good idea to have one. I don't have a good recommendation from personal experience but people like the Creality version, and its like 65 bucks. My printer is already enclosed so I haven't needed one.

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
I am printing reef things right now!

I got he ender 3 pro. First upgrade is a new Meanwell power supply. Fixed almost every issue i had. Second is a glass bed.

PXL_20221206_170520232.jpg

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've used Tevo's , Prusa's, and Creality printers. I've ended up changing/upgrading all of them.

Right now I'm using a cr-6max (the se is the "little brother" though and more in line size/price wise with the ender 3) and it's been one of the best ones I've used so far (after a couple of "upgrades" that is). I changed out the build plate (PEI/spring steel) and the heatbreak (bi-metal) and that's it. I print primarily using PETG (ABS sometimes, but rarely) and don't have too many issues anymore.

As for an enclosure, the max is a beast, so I just have clear thick plastic sheeting around a the shelf it's on. Keeps the temps pretty stable and the breeze of the prints.

_Jake_Simek_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I been looking at a few project people been doing on 3d printers and now I want one. What are things I would need and whats a good printer I seen alot of endover printers I think thats name. Lol are they any good and what material would I need to be able to make things for saltwater tank the would be reef safe
Everyone is leaving great advice, but if you have more money than time and want it ti just work, get a Prusa i3 mk3s plus, I have had mine for months now and the thing is flawless. I also have two other Prusa that have been running with minimal failures for years. Prusa has incredible support and will give all the knowledge you need to start.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back