New to all this. 29 gallon tank. Please help!

Chief2112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I’m brand new to this. We recently had someone give us an unused 29 gallon tank with stand and I have thought about delving into this hobby for awhile and I think now is my chance.

I have been reading stuff online and watching YT vids for weeks and I think I’m just dizzy from all the info and opinions. I’m sure this post will generate a fair share of the same but I’d really appreciate some detailed assistance.

My first issue is this: Whats a good way to start? FOWLR? Reef tank? I eventually want a tank with fish and some CUC along with soft corals but is there a preferred way to start for a beginner?

My other big question is about filtration. Sump is NOT an option so can I do HOB filtration for 29 gallon or is canister better? Looking for beginner friendly options.

Live rock or no??

Generally how long before I can introduce livestock and corals to a new tank?

Does anyone have the patience and kindness to help guide me through some of this process? I really want to dive in but I’m feeling really intimidated too.
Thanks in advance.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my take...
* Definitely HOB over canister (and HOB skimmer)
* Reef over FOWLR (just more pleasing to the eye)
* Dry rock over live rock (cheaper, no hitchhikers)

You can instant-cycle a tank and be adding fish and inverts within 24 hours; corals once your water parameters are stable.

OP
OP
Chief2112

Chief2112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was mistaken. The tank is actually 36 gallons which is better, right? Should I have a skimmer?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back