New to aquaforest with a couple questions

Discussion in 'Aquaforest' started by Murr7, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Murr7

Murr7 Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

I just purchased the compnent 1+2+3+ bundle from BRS. I have dosed 2 part in the past and had success with it. I wanted to switch to aquaforest with a previous tank but AEFW infested before I could start. This new tank has been running for 6 or so months and corals have begun to be added, so I feel it's now time to start dosing. I just have a couple of questions before I get started.

I will be dosing using 2 Neptune dos, this will leave one head not being used is there a 4th product that would be beneficial to dose with it?

I understand the initial dosing 50ml/27g until parameters are met and then adjusting from there. My tank is 20g, so I should initially dose 37ml of all three components?

Is components 1+2+3+ everything I need to get the basic aquafort program going? If not what else should I get before beginning?

I have been using Red Sea blue bucket for my water changes and I have a half of a bucket left. Will it be alright if I finish out the bucket before ordering aquaforest reef salt?

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated as well. Thank you in advance.

SKYHIGGh likes this.

2. SKYHIGGh

SKYHIGGh Active Member Reef Tank 365

You will love this stuff.

I have a 30 gallon tank and too maintain 8.0 alk I dose only 7mil per day of 123+ depends on how much you have but I have lots of Montis and have a clam and a more than a couple Frags and I don’t need much to maintain stability.

I use there probiotic salt
    Carbon stacked on top of zeo lites in a media reactor in rear chamber
    123+ on a doser 7mil perday 6 doses one of them is 2mil

On pump 4 I have amino acids 3ml per day

sever10 and Murr7 like this.
  3. Murr7

Did you start dosing the 50ml like they suggest?

4. SKYHIGGh

I started with a 1/4 dose and then adjusted from there going down until my dkh level off at 8.5 and then have left it alone and I have stayed around 8 for a few months now.

Dose all three equally my calcium stayed high for like 3 months around 550 but now is normal at 440

5. Murr7

Thanks for the info this was always my thought, 50ml seemed like diving into the deep end and hoping for the best ha.

How often do you do a water change? I try to do at least one every week but with a balling system I'm not sure that is necessary.

SKYHIGGh likes this.
  6. nova65ss

nova65ss Valuable Member Reef Tank 365

50 ml on 20 g is a lot I'm at about 50 on my 120. I would start at around 5 ml and work your way up. It takes time to get it dialed in but stay the course it will eventually even out.
    I use an alk buffer and base everything on the alk being where I want and steady. AF makes an alk buffer I just use reef fusion by sea chem.

Murr7 likes this.
  7. SKYHIGGh

Water change once a month now. I’m on my third month. I like it lot better this way and tank looks good

Murr7 likes this.
  8. Anirban

Anirban Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

50 ml per 27 G is for those reef which are SPS heavy not a starter reef. So you need to start small and then match the dosing up with the Alk need. For the dosing head, you can dose the NP pro doser ready version to keep your nutrient low and add the Pro bio S manually. You can use up the blue bucket before you shift to Reef salt without any problem.

jsker, SKYHIGGh and Murr7 like this.
  9. Murr7

Thanks for the info. I will look into NP pro.

Today's the delivery day and it just so happens I have a shortened work day. Hope to have all my dosers set up and ready to roll by tonight. Then comes my least favorite part of reefing the testing haha

jsker and Anirban like this.
  10. SKYHIGGh

Get some Hanna checkers.

I honestly only test alk regularly usually once per week when I fill ato

Calcium I check one a month with water change but only because I the test kit.

Mag I stopped checking a few months back

I don’t test phosphate and nitrate because I don’t have algae issues and not enough sps colonies to worry about slight color changes so to speak.

Base everything you do off your alk since we do balling method stable salinity and then watch alk as you guage of were your at

Murr7, Anirban and jsker like this.
  11. Murr7

I have Hanna checkers all ready to roll and Red Sea pro to double check (hopefully the red sea hasn't expired). Unfortunately I didn't get the time to set things up. My wife decided it was spring cleaning day and she wasn't nearly as excited as I was about those purple jugs .

SKYHIGGh likes this.
  12. Murr7

I have got the new doser lines hooked into the jugs and am going to test every day at 8pm for a couple of days to see my tanks consumption. While I'm doing that I'm going to program the Apex dos to dose the three components, is there a specific time that each one should be dosed?

Anirban and SKYHIGGh like this.
  13. SKYHIGGh

No just spread it out over 24 hours so every 8 hours staggered between the 3.

If tank is new and not a lot of coral consumption will be low so don’t be alarmed.

I’m a kitchen manager so I’ll give you a little game I tell my cooks it’s super easy to up cook a steak but impossible to bring it back down. Don’t over do it go slow. Easy to fix something very defeating to have to start over.

I started with only 5ml per day and 8 months later I’m only at 7ml per day to stay stable at 8dkh and even at that I honestly want to go lower to around 7.5 but instead of lowering dosage to bring it down I’m letting it come down on its own and then add doses to keep it stable 1ml at a time.

If your rich and plan on dropping 20frags at a time then my methodology might not work lol

Murr7 likes this.
  14. Murr7

Ha that's a good way of thinking it. Unfortunately I didn't hit the powerball so 20 frags isn't going to happen.

15. kpacheco8

kpacheco8 New Member

This was a very informative Thread! I just started the Aquaforest program as well and had similar questions. Sounds like starting off slow and with lower dosages until things get to where you want them is the key. I just was curious how things were going now that you have been on the program for a few months. Any initial reviews? Thanks in advance.

sever10 and SKYHIGGh like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted