New to both the hobby and R2R. Uk based

Joe-Hamilton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a very unsuccessful attempt over a year ago and having more free time on my hands, I find myself fascinated with the vibrant colours and intrigued by the keeping of both coral and marine animals.

I’m in the middle of planning (saving for) a mixed reef system. I currently have a 660mm x 510mm x 330mm optiwhite tank housing tropic fish which I’m wanting to convert to marine by drilling the rear and adding a sump. So adding the total water volume together I’ll be looking at around 25/30 gal? (If I’m incorrect please let me down gently)

The hope is for a bare bottom tank hosting a pair of designer clowns with a mix of soft and lps coral.

Whilst the sump is added for extra water volume and a place to hide ugly equipment I’d ideally like to keep the utility bills as low as possible. Meaning is there a way of running a tank naturally with the help of marine pure blocks chaeto etc things that don’t need to be replenished monthly?

All help will be greatly appreciated along with suggestions on equipment and stocking.

I currently have 2 heaters and a radion xr30 gen 3 pro which has been overkill for the tropical tank.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a very unsuccessful attempt over a year ago and having more free time on my hands, I find myself fascinated with the vibrant colours and intrigued by the keeping of both coral and marine animals.

I’m in the middle of planning (saving for) a mixed reef system. I currently have a 660mm x 510mm x 330mm optiwhite tank housing tropic fish which I’m wanting to convert to marine by drilling the rear and adding a sump. So adding the total water volume together I’ll be looking at around 25/30 gal? (If I’m incorrect please let me down gently)

The hope is for a bare bottom tank hosting a pair of designer clowns with a mix of soft and lps coral.

Whilst the sump is added for extra water volume and a place to hide ugly equipment I’d ideally like to keep the utility bills as low as possible. Meaning is there a way of running a tank naturally with the help of marine pure blocks chaeto etc things that don’t need to be replenished monthly?

All help will be greatly appreciated along with suggestions on equipment and stocking.

I currently have 2 heaters and a radion xr30 gen 3 pro which has been overkill for the tropical tank.
Welcomed to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
giphy.gif

The best way to keep a tank running naturally is going to be consistent water changes weekly. Alot of tanks are able to run without skimmers and other equipment as long as you do consistent and frequent water changes to export the bad nutrients :)

OP
OP
Joe-Hamilton

Joe-Hamilton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the quick replies and the warm welcome! I wasn’t expecting my phone to ping quite so quickly!
I’ve been reading up on here, loads and decided to give it a try after having very little reply from my local Facebook group and I’m glad I did!

I’m looking at a DIY sump from a standard (cheap, 2 foot) tank with Perspex baffles to divide the tank into sections and create a bubble trap before the return pump.
I’m thinking of using a skimmer every so often in the first chamber where the water enters the sump, over into the second chamber containing chaeto with marine pure plate within the bubble trap before the return pump.
If you recommend another way or there is a sump build out there that seems perfect for me please point me in the right direction as there’s still time before the silicone arrives

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Keep us posted with your build with lots of pics! :)

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.6%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 98 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back