New to both the hobby and R2R. Uk based

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet Forum' started by Joe-Hamilton, Jan 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Joe-Hamilton

Joe-Hamilton New Member

After a very unsuccessful attempt over a year ago and having more free time on my hands, I find myself fascinated with the vibrant colours and intrigued by the keeping of both coral and marine animals.

I’m in the middle of planning (saving for) a mixed reef system. I currently have a 660mm x 510mm x 330mm optiwhite tank housing tropic fish which I’m wanting to convert to marine by drilling the rear and adding a sump. So adding the total water volume together I’ll be looking at around 25/30 gal? (If I’m incorrect please let me down gently)

The hope is for a bare bottom tank hosting a pair of designer clowns with a mix of soft and lps coral.

Whilst the sump is added for extra water volume and a place to hide ugly equipment I’d ideally like to keep the utility bills as low as possible. Meaning is there a way of running a tank naturally with the help of marine pure blocks chaeto etc things that don’t need to be replenished monthly?

All help will be greatly appreciated along with suggestions on equipment and stocking.

I currently have 2 heaters and a radion xr30 gen 3 pro which has been overkill for the tropical tank.

Tags:

2. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Millepora Maniac Mayor of R2R Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Hospitality Award

Welcomed to R2R!! welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif giphy.gif
    The best way to keep a tank running naturally is going to be consistent water changes weekly. Alot of tanks are able to run without skimmers and other equipment as long as you do consistent and frequent water changes to export the bad nutrients :)

3. WWIII

WWIII Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor LMAS Member

Welcome to R2R! The monthly bills can add up, but with a tank of that size it should be manageable!

4. KJ

KJ Road Warrior R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award ETRC Member Reef Squad Leader Hospitality Award

Welcome to R2R!!!

5. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Welcome to R2R and back for another try.

6. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Millepora Maniac Mayor of R2R Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Hospitality Award

With the best support group in the world :)

7. kschweer

kschweer Zoas!!! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 NJRC Member Hospitality Award

Welcome to R2R!!!

8. Dsnakes

Dsnakes Knight Reefer R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R :) Thanks for joining us!

9. Big G

Big G captain dunsel R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to the group! Lots of very kind and helpful people here to help you.

10. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Hospitality Award

Welcome to R2R and your new reefing community.

11. Joe-Hamilton

Joe-Hamilton New Member

Thank you very much for the quick replies and the warm welcome! I wasn’t expecting my phone to ping quite so quickly!
    I’ve been reading up on here, loads and decided to give it a try after having very little reply from my local Facebook group and I’m glad I did!

I’m looking at a DIY sump from a standard (cheap, 2 foot) tank with Perspex baffles to divide the tank into sections and create a bubble trap before the return pump.
    I’m thinking of using a skimmer every so often in the first chamber where the water enters the sump, over into the second chamber containing chaeto with marine pure plate within the bubble trap before the return pump.
    If you recommend another way or there is a sump build out there that seems perfect for me please point me in the right direction as there’s still time before the silicone arrives

jsker, Lovemyreef2015, Big G and 3 others like this.
  12. Chris Wells

Chris Wells Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Welcome! :)

jsker, dbl, Lovemyreef2015 and 5 others like this.
  13. Gweeds1980

Gweeds1980 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to r2r from a fellow UK reefer :)

jsker, WWIII, dbl and 2 others like this.
  14. Xavierwally

Xavierwally Active Member

Welcome to R2R and enjoy. The small size of your tank will be a small monthly bill to upkeep.

15. Fin

Fin Tank Status: Still Dry R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

welcometo_Reef2Reef.gif

16. Lovemyreef2015

Lovemyreef2015 Reefing Mom! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award

Welcome to R2R

jsker, WWIII, dbl and 1 other person like this.
  17. ourcoralreef

ourcoralreef Valuable Member

Welcome
    And not giving up is awesome keep it up

KJ and Lovemyreef2015 like this.
  18. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Expert Contributor

Welcome home, you will love it here!

Keep us posted with your build with lots of pics! :)

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted