OP
OP
B

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that idea but I don’t think I m able to catch him I have lots of hiding places. I actually had a moment where I thought I m buying a hole new tank catch both and let them cardinals be the only pair in there but then I also go to Germany and stay for 3-4 weeks at the time. Not so great having 2 tanks running ..... i m to OCD to let anybody touch my tanks lol
I have a lot of hiding places in my tank too and it takes patience catching him since he isnt lured by food while having a mouthful. I still use the bottle trick though but chase him into the bottle rather than lure

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottle trick ? Can you explain that a little more in detail please ... what kind of bottle and so on I appreciate it

OP
OP
B

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottle trick ? Can you explain that a little more in detail please ... what kind of bottle and so on I appreciate it
I'll take a water bottle and cut off the top to about the size of the fish with its fin's extended ( so for my bangaii, itll be about a 2 inch opening). I then cut about another inch down the bottle creating 2 pieces of plastic: a ring that is one inch wide that is tapered from the mouth of the water bottle and a second piece which is the bottom of the bottle. I'll turn the ring around to where the tapered end is facing the bottom of the bottle and push the ring into the opening of the bottom section of the bottle. I cut small holes in the sides of the bottle so air cannot get trapped in the bottle causing it to float.The fish can swim into the bottle but have trouble trying to get out. I can post pics in the morning when I get home. I use this method to catch any problematic fish in the aquarium by using a turkey baster to spray food into the bottle to lure them in.

OP
OP
B

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a picture of what I'm talking about except I cut off the lid of the bottle leaving a hole big enough for the fish to swim into (since most fish like bangaiis are larger than the mouth of a bottle)

OP
OP
B

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang that’s fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing I will try that for sure
No problem. I've used it for all kinds of fish and keep a couple for any future complications. I've got a large, super fleshy acan colony that for whatever reason newer fish discover is tasty. With that being said, the bottle has saved me from tearing down my display a time or two... or five. It's worked for a cleaner wrasse, a hippo tang, and a powder blue tang for munching on that acan colony by placing food in the bottle. It's also worked for the male bangaii, but with a little more persuasion. I normally place it in a cave that he stays near and will use a net or long feeding tube/stick to lure him back to the cave. Once I get him in, I put my hand over the opening of the bottle and pull the bottle out. With the other fish, itll normally take about 5 to 10 minutes. With the bangaii, it's about 20 to 30

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll sure try. I have had a few problem fish before and tried a trap but only my lawnmower went in lol.
so yes ....thank you so very much I appreciate that you took the time to explain that so detailed for me THANK YOU.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back