New to clownfish. Are mine nocturnal?

NaturalDisaster0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive just added clowns to my new tank this week. Overall so far they seem to be doing okay, however Ive noticed they are 10x more active at night then during the day, even with the tank lights off they dont typically leave their corner. But come night time when all the lights go out and the tank is in complete darkness suddenly they become little adventurers and want to explore the tank -- even seems like one of them is having fun getting blown around by the powerhead flow. My tank parameters are safe. Are they simply too timid and not fully adjusted to the tank yet or do i have a pair of oddball nocturnal clownfish? Thanks for any input, im new to this hobby.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, sounds like normal clown behavior.
should adjust in time,
if see any signs of stress,or excessive swimming into p heads ,come back here ... :)

OP
OP
NaturalDisaster0

NaturalDisaster0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, sounds like normal clown behavior.
should adjust in time,
if see any signs of stress,or excessive swimming into p heads ,come back here ... :)
I noticed this morning when feeding them that some white patches have begun to form on them. Is this clownfish disease or ich? I bought Paragaurd and Ich-x in advance incase i had to treat something, i just need to ID what this could be if anything. They appear to still be acting normal, but i dont recall seeing these patches when i brought them home.

20211104_115726.jpg 20211104_115652.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I noticed this morning when feeding them that some white patches have begun to form on them. Is this clownfish disease or ich? I bought Paragaurd and Ich-x in advance incase i had to treat something, i just need to ID what this could be if anything. They appear to still be acting normal, but i dont recall seeing these patches when i brought them home.

20211104_115726.jpg 20211104_115652.jpg
Not sure how many postings you have on this but I answered a similar much earlier

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
And regarding title- mine seem to be up all night

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I saw another thread on this? My initial thought is that the one clown has physical damage, likely from another clown, and that there may also be Brooklynella added in.

Jay

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I saw another thread on this? My initial thought is that the one clown has physical damage, likely from another clown, and that there may also be Brooklynella added in.

Jay
+1 for the damage/ you can see the top fin has been nipped by the other clown

OP
OP
NaturalDisaster0

NaturalDisaster0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the damage/ you can see the top fin has been nipped by the other clown
These clowns wernt showing any aggression towards each other the entire time i had them. They were a pair and im wondering if the fin damage came from the store. Maybe i didnt observe them enough before buying.

On a side note, the fish store i bought them from claims it couldnt be brook because they run UV sterilizers in every tank. Is this a bogus claim or could that be true?

Last edited:

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These clowns wernt showing any aggression towards each other the entire time i had them. They were a pair and im wondering if the fin damage came from the store. Maybe i didnt observe them enough before buying.

On a side note, the fish store i bought them from claims it couldnt be brook because they run UV sterilizers in every tank. Is this a bogus claim or could that be true?
Lol they could 100% still have brook. UV just reduces the amount of disease in a tank.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is making me mad and it's not even my fish. When I asked about diseases when purchasing my first marine fish, I got a very honest and up-front response from my LFS -- I was told they run UV and dose praziquantel to take precautions but they are always receiving new fish and many are wild caught so it can never be ruled out.

These were your first fish after cycle, correct? And now you have to run fallow for weeks. Lesson learned and this is why we are told to QT. BUT (not saying it's their total fault, b/c as stated above), I would hope the LFS would address this honestly and help to make it right in whatever way they can.

OP
OP
NaturalDisaster0

NaturalDisaster0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is making me mad and it's not even my fish. When I asked about diseases when purchasing my first marine fish, I got a very honest and up-front response from my LFS -- I was told they run UV and dose praziquantel to take precautions but they are always receiving new fish and many are wild caught so it can never be ruled out.

These were your first fish after cycle, correct? And now you have to run fallow for weeks. Lesson learned and this is why we are told to QT. BUT (not saying it's their total fault, b/c as stated above), I would hope the LFS would address this honestly and help to make it right in whatever way they can.
Yes. These were the first fish. Honestly this fish shop was throwing up red flags for me even as a noobie i feel like i shouldve listened to my gut feeling and went someplace else. This owner was very rude when discussing quarentining his fish, almost like he took offense to it. He said quarentining was just a fad and all his fish were safe to be put straight into my aquarium. I ask a lot of questions so its probably easily for someone to get the sense that im new and probably dont know any better. Like you said lesson learned -- wont be going there again.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back