New to corals and anemomes, What is the best lighting?

luceym

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to corals and anemomes, What is the best lighting? I currently have a 1140mm classic Eheim Led white light, which simulates sunrise and sunset, and thats it. Any links on where to buy would be great, bear in mind I have a stupid rim on the tank so pref lights with stands on either end thank you xx

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no direct answer to your question. Too many variables. "Corals" covers a massive list of things, many with varying light requirements. Anenomes normally enjoy pretty big light.

Why don't you tell us a little bit about your tank, What you plan to have in it, and a price point. Recommendations would be more reliable with that information.

OP
OP
luceym

luceym

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no direct answer to your question. Too many variables. "Corals" covers a massive list of things, many with varying light requirements. Anenomes normally enjoy pretty big light.

Why don't you tell us a little bit about your tank, What you plan to have in it, and a price point. Recommendations would be more reliable with that information.
So I was looking at

Entacmaea Quadricolor (Green) a bubble tip anemone to begin, but obviously corals in the future, I just don't want to have to spend out on another light further down the line, my tank is 240l 120cm in length live rock, 3 clowns and a tang so far..​

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was looking at

Entacmaea Quadricolor (Green) a bubble tip anemone to begin, but obviously corals in the future, I just don't want to have to spend out on another light further down the line, my tank is 240l 120cm in length live rock, 3 clowns and a tang so far..​

It’s generally recommended that you wait at least six months (if not a year) for your tank to mature before getting an anemone, especially if you are inexperienced. I would recommend starting out with some easier soft corals (mushrooms, zoanthids, Xenia, GSP, leathers, Kenya trees, etc.), and once you’ve kept your tank stable and some soft corals alive for six months, then think about trying an anemone (they are much less forgiving than soft corals). As far as lighting goes, for a middle of the road option in terms of pricing, and one that will allow you to keep pretty much anything, would be 2 ai prime HD 16s. It’s going to be pushing it in terms of even coverage on your tank length-wise, but you can always add a third down the line if you want to. These lights can grow with you and can be put on pretty much any tank. You’ll need to also get 2 mounting arms, but your tank having a rim isn’t a problem. They’re around $230 each (as I said middle of the road, there are cheaper and more expensive options). The great thing about the AI primes is that they come with a wifi controller (most other comparable lights in this price range the controller is sold separately), so you can adjust them/program them with your phone.

If that’s out of your budget, I would recommend a couple viparspectra black boxes (the 165 watt version). They don’t look as nice, and aren’t nearly as customizable or programmable, but they’ll get the job done (they’re around $130 a piece, and you’ll need mounting arms with these also, though they’re bigger and would be better suspended from the ceiling).

Unfortunately, if you want to keep a bubble tip eventually, there aren’t really any strip lights that run the length of the tank that are powerful enough. There are some that would allow you to keep soft corals and some LPS, but bubble tips (and any anemone that will host clownfish) require intense lighting (like sps intense), so you’re looking at either pucks (ai primes) or boxes (like the viparspectra), pucks can easily be mounted on arms, some boxes can be mounted on arms, but suspending them from the ceiling is the best bet.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a thread asking about affordable lighting options for a similar sized tank (also with a rim). Some good recommendations there if you want to read through them:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal opinion …
T5’s
You can grow anything under them from softies, lps , sps , anemones . Anything you want …

but they also have their downfall
Bulb replacement cost , cost of running which is a little more costly for electricity ,
Heat just to name a few lol

but I will say , they are all I have ever used .

depending where you’re located . I have 3 of those black boxes I picked up used with my 230 gal when I upgraded but I don’t plan on using them .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying it’s not possible to keep anemones this early .
But it’s not suggested .
they can be finicky to care for with fluctuating parameters .
When you’re ready . Take your time shopping . Know what you’re looking for . And do not buy one with a gaping mouth or floating around a tank not attached to anything .
Colour is always good too .
one that looks yellow or almost see through off white is not a good sign

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone can call me old fashioned but a good budget 4 blub t5 would grow those. Maybe 2 bulb depending on where anemone stays put.
Nothing wrong with t5’s

8 bulbs over my systems for the last 10+ years. .
The odd ballast replaced , and new bulbs once per year

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was looking at

i know alot are saying 6 months to a year for BTA's but i always put them into my tank after they pass the ugly stage if my tank parms are stable and have yet to lose one.

As for lighting it depends on budget/size of your tank. If you dont have a Budget i suggest T5's with Radions. if your stuck on a budget i say go with AI prime 16's or Hydra 32's from AI.

If your going to go SPS down the road i wouldnt go with 16's instead get Hydra 32's if you need to stay cheap.

AI prime 16's- if not SPS for 210$ each your need about 3 to cover 65G' if its a long tank if its a cube maybe 2.

Hydra 32's- if you want to grow SPS but still want to remain cheapness.

Ecotech's Radion series - High End really pricey.

Kessil- are right in the middle for pricing has a great shimmer effect they are more direct focus in terms of lighting though.

T5's - these can be used as standalone or combined with any of the above to get better results. they are hot and can look unpleasing in the room if they are just hanging but they are tried and true and work really well.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there aren’t really any strip lights that run the length of the tank that are powerful enough.
There will be soon...An LED plug and play strip light that is linkable. Quality, big PAR, fair price and better spectrum.

anyone and everyone, go check out @mahina_corals on instagram.

This guy is serving up some real data about reef aquarium lighting and will be bringing something to market very soon.

Very very interesting! go check it out.

Last edited:
Back