New to dosing Cal, Alk and Mag daily

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently started testing water frequently for Cal-Alk with Hanna checkers and Mag with Red Sea Mag test pro Current readings are Cal 327ppm. Alk 12.1dkH Mag 920ppm.
I used to dose all for reef but noticed it was taking quite a while for all numbers to go up so I got a ReefDose and was wondering if anyone here has a dosing daily schedule or every other day system to keep those numbers stable. I also got their foundation supplements ready and set up so I just need to set up a schedule to keep those numbers where I can keep LPS happy and thriving.
Thanks in advance!

80A55FE4-B898-45FD-9737-9AAADD9A21DF.jpeg 444FEDE6-F8F4-4439-B801-9C8430EC13BC.jpeg 6D96310A-02F9-44ED-B11A-BC484B1206C9.jpeg

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with a ati icp test which test your tank water an RO to start with a. base line and also to reverify your testing at home. with your results your calcium and mag are two low .you will want to add slowly and test daily also remember your numbers will never be at a perfect level because your corals will uptake different elements. good luck

Upvote 0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AllforReef is only good for maintaining your current levels (whatever they are), it’s not great for trying to raise low numbers. I would use a reef calculator, and see how much of your particular supplements would be needed for your tank volume to get to where it needs to and divide that by seven and raise your levels up over a week (they are not so low that it needs to be done over a longer period). You will also still need to dose whatever your daily consumption is (the reason you’re dosing in the first place), if you don’t know how much you’re using, you need to test daily at the same time each day and see how much Alk, Cal, and Mag your tank is consuming. These elements are generally consumed at the same ratio, so a balanced two part can usually be dosed in equal parts. But, until you know how much your tank is using, we can’t devise a dosing schedule (besides the schedule mentioned to get your cal and Mag back in range). Your Alk is fairly high, not dangerously high, but you don’t have room to go much higher, so if you make a dosing mistake, you could be in trouble. I would hold off on dosing any Alk and let it naturally come down to 9dkh or so. So, once you’ve gotten your Cal and Mag in range, let your Alk drop to 9dkh, and figured out how much your tank is consuming (this is perfect for letting your Alk drop, test each day and see how much it goes down each day). Once you’ve done all this, and gotten everything in range, AllforReef or a balanced two part should keep you stable (can’t tell you the daily dose without knowing how much your tank is consuming). Once you’ve got a stable daily dose figured out, you’ll still want to test at least your Alk once or twice a week, as your corals grow, or you add more, they will consume more and the dose will be adjusted.

Here is a reef calculator that has most of the popular brands of two part/alk/cal supplements:

Upvote 0

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if u want budget amazon has those cheap dosers you can get them with upto 6 dosing pumps there not the greatest but if you calibrate and check them they do work. nicer quality from there it s kamora s, versa s, dos

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back