Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side and the community! Take your time figuring out what you want for your tank and the hardware but also consider the livestock you want to keep to ensure you get the right sized tank. Any questions you have just ask. I look forward to seeing your setup! :)

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

139 gallon red sea tank.

Positives - Beautiful rimless tank . Easy to setup and maintain for new reefers that don't want to do any plumbing themselves

Negatives - just the one . The autotop system is always malfunctioning and needs constant adjusting 2-3 times a month

Costs on 139 gallon system
Prices are in Canadian dollars and everything is cheaper in the states so my numbers might seem high haha
salt bucket 2-3 buckets $150 a year
dosing I spend like $200-400 a year
parts for the RODI water $ 30-100 a year
corals and fish budget ( there isn't one haha )

Startup is expensive for sure but after that a saltwater tank is fairly cheap to maintain and run

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! My wife recently got a tiny (5g) tank for our girls and after going to the pet store, I was immediately drawn in to reef acquariums. I know myself enough to know that if I am this drawn in that I will definitely be buying a tank setup when I have been able to save up enough money.

I basically want to create a list of all of the components that I'll want to buy for my ideal system and in what order. That way I know how much I'll need to save up in order to get started. Might buy some smaller components piece-by-piece as I save up.

My main interest right now are that I want as much automation as I can fit / afford (I like the idea of having some controls and auto top offs and testing/dosing).

The Red Sea type of tanks look nice, but I'm more drawn to the Apex compatible components so I can have more flexibility for the automation.

I read that for starting up tank you'd want 75 gallon, but I'll probable go to the 115 to 120 gallon range (with the expense being so high I want to get what I'll eventually want and that seems like a good size).

Going to be lurking for a while and building out my list, but anyone who would like to reply with some comments on how to best build out your list of components and get them picked and prioritized would be nice.

I would also be interested to hear from people in the 100-ish tank range how much it costs to keep the tank maintained after all initial expenses of tank setup and stocking are done. Also, If i get fully decked out tank system at around 100 gallons I assume I may need to get some electrician work to handle all of the power?

Thanks! I'll be going slow and steady to learn while I define what I want and save up. I am very excited about this. I love long-term endeavors!

Welcome! Glad you joined. Hoping this note finds you doing well with your girls' tank.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). No time is too early!

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back