New to hobby. And it’s all because of BRS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

John Michael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I’ve been keeping fresh water cichlids for a few years with great success. One evening I was on YouTube and as usual went down the rabbit hole of watching fish videos and came across one of BRS 52weeks of reefing videos and have been hooked ever since. I’ve never put thought into having a reef tank but thanks to BRS I got the bug.

So, I’ve decided I’m gonna take on the challenge of getting into the hobby and document every step of the way with you guys. I want to remind you all that I have had no knowledge of reefing up intill 30days ago and have never done anything remotely like this.
The Challenge:
Only use BRS videos and BRS forums as the source of information.
Be Budget friendly. Expectations is having good quality but at a decent price.
Grow LPS and Soft corals while keep a medium stocking level of fish.
Start with nothing but the tank.

Plan:
Get a 6 stage RO/DI unit with two 75gallon water storage tank to creat saltwater. (Water change/mixing station.
Convert a fresh water 4ft 75 gallon tank (which I have already) into a reef tank.
drill a total of 4 holes. Two return holes and two overflow holes in the center of the tank.
Get a sump that fits into my stand that has a refugium
Hard plum the entire tank using PVC including a manifold.
Select and purchase water heaters.
Select and purchase affordable wave makers and rerun pump.
Select and Get about 80lbs of rock to aquascape with.
Selecting a substrate
Selecting a salt and start up cycling supplies
Begin the cycle process with rock in tank.
Select a ATO system.
Select a lighting unit for the aquarium.
(LED, or hybrid of LED and T5)
Selecting a skimmer, GFO,and Carbon reactor for the refugium and a pellet tumbler
Selecting a good test kit and begin to test the water.
Selecting lighting and start up supplies for the refugium.
Build a 20gallon long quarantine tank. (Already have one)
Selecting first batch of fish.
Selecting a small clean up crew
Selecting first corals.
Quarantine the fish and corals.
Adding fish to the tank and corals to the tank.

This is the goal.
And achieve this goal in the next 7 months.
The build will start in January.
:) I’m super excited to share with you all start to finish with every detail on how I set up a reef tank only watching BRS videos.
Please feel free to reach out to me if you would like to help support this build or if you have any advice or recomendations. :)

Happy reefing everybody.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!! We promise you will be hooked by the time you start. Saltwater is awesome, no offense but in my opinion, saltwater is better than freshwater. Go slow. no need to rush bad things happen fast. good things happen slowly We will convert you to the salt side

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! And good luck! There is only one thing I question your reliance on. Purely BRS. Don't get me wrong, they have some good videos, but like anyone else out there. They tend to push what they sell. I buy from them, but I have an awful lot of good stuff they don't review or sell. What I'm trying to say is don't put all your eggs in one basket. There is is a lot of great info out there. And a lot of bad. Saltwater is a huge challenge. But dang if it isn't worthnit. Especially when you get into sps.

Mayerlyn A

Entre_Jardines
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my tank as a present for my husband last Christmas. I got a great deal on it. My cousin drove from Atlanta to Florida to set it up for me. He makes quite a good living setting up and maintaining tanks. When he left after tank was set up, the only instructions I got were “start watching BRS 52 week series”. I have been hooked ever since . R2R and BRS are all you need. Welcome to the addiction .

Last edited:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great plan
Resized_20181113_183219.gif

#WelcometoR2R

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Great plan you’ve laid out. Watch the for sale forum and add a controller later on. Choose the one that is compatable with the component brands you choose. Plan for a list of meds to keep on hand. Study the sickness forum for signs of illness. Preparation will stave off dispair.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back