New to hobby I think Clown fish has ich??

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just started my tank coming up on the 2nd week, FOWLR my test come back in normal parameters, temp and salinity have been kept stable. It’s a 37 gallon that holds 2 clownfish at the moment one of which appears to have signs of ich. LFS said best treatment would be to let it ride it out not sure that’s the best approach. Attached some photos of the clown that seems to have ich bellow.Thoughts?

91DF453C-F945-4E32-9DFA-2F89F370471C.jpeg 08D0A5A8-02FA-4FD9-9F03-23EE434E53F6.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off welcome! Do you have a hospital tank you can put them in? The treatment can't be done inside your display tank.

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off welcome! Do you have a hospital tank you can put them in? The treatment can't be done inside your display tank.
Thank you for the welcome! Not on hand but definitely willing to pick one up if needed, if I were to treat in a hospital tank wouldn’t that still leave my display tank with ich? Also what would be a good sized hospital tank for my clown?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10g would be fine. If you do a search for how to set up a hospital tank there will be everything you need. Also can search for ich treatment. I'm sure there's a 100 threads from people smarter than me.

jstabile316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all that’s in the tank is the 2 clowns you can treat them right in the main tank, if you have any shrimps corals or inverts then I would deff pick up a qt tank.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

Unfortunately you have something going on. I would want someone more versed at disease than me to look to be sure it is not brook or velvet.

As @Jekyl said , best not to treat in tank. Even though you are fowlr, unless you plan to stay that way with no inverts the copper used to treat will be an issue.

let’s see if our hard working @Jay Hemdal is around. Or other #reefsqaud

And here is a read to help as well

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all that’s in the tank is the 2 clowns you can treat them right in the main tank, if you have any shrimps corals or inverts then I would deff pick up a qt tank.
Got it I have a couple snails would it be easier to get a small tank to hold them in and treat in the main tank?

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

Unfortunately you have something going on. I would want someone more versed at disease than me to look to be sure it is not brook or velvet.

As @Jekyl said , best not to treat in tank. Even though you are fowlr, unless you plan to stay that way with no inverts the copper used to treat will be an issue.

let’s see if our hard working @Jay Hemdal is around. Or other #reefsqaud

And here is a read to help as well

Thanks for the tip just a little confused If I treat in a qt tank then how would I get the ich out of my main?

jstabile316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it would be easier to just get a 10 gallon
With a air stone n heater. I think Ich needs a host and while the fish are in qt the ich should die off since it has no host. I may be wrong but that’s what I read somewhere.

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it would be easier to just get a 10 gallon
With a air stone n heater. I think Ich needs a host and while the fish are in qt the ich should die off since it has no host. I may be wrong but that’s what I read somewhere.
Got it I’ll try it out, any medication you suggest?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A note of caution: a 14 day fallow period is NOT generally accepted as one which will be effective in preventing reinfection. 45 days or, at the outside, 72 is generally considered to be acceptable.

There are multiple threads detailing the required treatment -- most of which involves some type of copper-based solution. You should invest in a quality high-dose copper meter (e.g. from Hanna).

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never treat in you main tank without asking on here if you should do it or not. Certain treatments can stick in the rocks and substrate.

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A note of caution: a 14 day fallow period is NOT generally accepted as one which will be effective in preventing reinfection. 45 days or, at the outside, 72 is generally considered to be acceptable.

There are multiple threads detailing the required treatment -- most of which involves some type of copper-based solution. You should invest in a quality high-dose copper meter (e.g. from Hanna).
If my fish have to stay in the qt for 45 or more should I invest in a filter for my qt? I figured a heater and bubbler would do the trick for 2 weeks but idk about 45 days.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my fish have to stay in the qt for 45 or more should I invest in a filter for my qt? I figured a heater and bubbler would do the trick for 2 weeks but idk about 45 days.
Copper-based medications are stressful to your fish, and you want them to be as comfortable as possible. At a minimum, your QT should have:

-a hang-on filter
-a heater
-an airstone or powerhead
-PVC elbows for a safe space for the fish
-a cover. You can make your own out of mesh, easily, or simply glue some window screen over a cutout in cardboard, and make sure that it's secured to the top so that the fish can't jump out.
-an ammonia test kit, because ammonia can spike in an uncycled tank
-salt for frequent water changes

Do not have substrate in your QT. I know that this seems like a lot, but you can get the same results in a 5g bucket. Aeration and maintaining a constant dose of copper is key, though.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link to what I followed.

If you decide on Copper you're gonna want to get a copper test kit. Hanna is best, I buy cupramine and use the seachem test kit on that.

Gonna need everything the main tank has, but you can use a cheap HOB filter. Can't use carbon as this will take meds out.

Follow the directions on this link on how to setup a quarentine tank:

You're going to have to do daily water changes im sure as your QT won't be cycled at the start. You could inset some foam ASAP into your main filter on your DT to get some bacteria on it.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link to what I followed.

If you decide on Copper you're gonna want to get a copper test kit. Hanna is best, I buy cupramine and use the seachem test kit on that.

Gonna need everything the main tank has, but you can use a cheap HOB filter. Can't use carbon as this will take meds out.

Follow the directions on this link on how to setup a quarentine tank:

You're going to have to do daily water changes im sure as your QT won't be cycled at the start. You could inset some foam ASAP into your main filter on your DT to get some bacteria on it.

Good luck.
Got it thanks so much for the info I’ll do the best I can !

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my 2 clowns in a hospital tank, as for my dt it was mid cycle will removing the fish stop that cycle or will it continue?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will continue. The snails will produce ammonia to be broken down, if not as much as the clowns. You'll also want to feed the snails a bit, which will help.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back