New to Leds

the_fish_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so i am making the jump to LED's and I have decided to get 15" reef brites. I have a red sea max and i was thinking 1 blue strip 1 white strip and 1 50/50. I was thinking of taking out the stock lighting and then putting the strips like this
-----------------------
-----------------------
------------------------

Do you think that would be good? I can fit 4 Strips in the hood but i was just thinking of 3. But i want to have better lighting and be able to keep all corals. So if you guys think 4 is neccesary for that i will do 4 thanks ahead of time

danielbui23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ask Reef Brite to give you PAR readings for different lengths. Generally LED users have been getting readings from 175 - 300 on the top of their substrate. That reading depends on what wattage LED's are used, either 1w 2w or 3w per LED's.

Personally I like the 2:1 ratio of (2) Blue's to (1) white. The 50/50 and white will wash out your blue.

danielbui23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What red light are you using? Red is a harder color to wash out. I usually don't mess with Red LED's unless it's with my sump which I have 10,000K and 6700K LED's. You can see difference.

OP
OP
T

the_fish_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What red light are you using? Red is a harder color to wash out. I usually don't mess with Red LED's unless it's with my sump which I have 10,000K and 6700K LED's. You can see difference.
Oh now i have just heard of people having red corals loos color with leds. Only heard it from a few though so i prob should be good

danielbui23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen DIY'ers kill a whole tank with LED's but that is a different subject. Just remember acclimate your tank to your LED's.

OP
OP
T

the_fish_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay do you think I should just put one strip in at a time or do the sheet method?
Thanks for all the help

Back