New to LPS and I got my first hammer yesterday does it look well or should I be worried?

OP
OP
KingAh123

KingAh123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are all small fish, correct? Less than 3-4”?

my 125 has
2 chromis
1 kole tang (full grown, pushing 8”)
3 wrasse
1 orange shoulder tang
Falco hawkfiah
Mandarin
Midas blenny
2 clownfish

and with those 12 fish, my nitrates stay between 10-30 and phosphates 0.02-0.1 depending on feeding, filter sock cleanliness, and how much I run skimmer.

I find it is easier to fight high nitrates than it is to fight low nitrates, but opposite for phosphates. In the first year just test test test and that way u develop good baseline and what is “stable” for your setup, then try to keep it as close to that, as long as everything is happy and showing growth
my biggest fish is my blenny who is around 7-8cm and my next biggest is my yellow watchman who is a little smaller than that most of my fish aren't that big yet since my oldest fish are my clowns who are I have had for 9 months and they were around 3-4 cm when I got them they are like 4-5cm now

odariel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as some other people already told u, high alk and low nutrients are a less than ideal.. if u have such a high alk, u need more nutrients in the water. Also i wouldnt get too worked up with the ph reading right now.. 1.024 salinity is a bit low, i would also aim for 1.026. And keeping alk between 7,5 and 8 with 15 nitrates and phosphate below 0.1 is when my corals are the happiest.. great coloration on acros and fat euphyllias. also, stability as u know is key, so dont make any sudden changes.. just aim for this slowly . Good luck with it! Btw, How is rhat hammer doing?

OP
OP
KingAh123

KingAh123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as some other people already told u, high alk and low nutrients are a less than ideal.. if u have such a high alk, u need more nutrients in the water. Also i wouldnt get too worked up with the ph reading right now.. 1.024 salinity is a bit low, i would also aim for 1.026. And keeping alk between 7,5 and 8 with 15 nitrates and phosphate below 0.1 is when my corals are the happiest.. great coloration on acros and fat euphyllias. also, stability as u know is key, so dont make any sudden changes.. just aim for this slowly . Good luck with it! Btw, How is rhat hammer doing?
Pretty much looks the same currently, my clowngoby loves him though won't leave him.

odariel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some easy SPS are montis and Pocilliopora (the rainbow variety is the first SPS i had years ago and its very hard.. actually harder than montis, more tolerant to high phosphate... you could try with a couple of frags, they are pretty cheap

OP
OP
KingAh123

KingAh123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some easy SPS are montis and Pocilliopora (the rainbow variety is the first SPS i had years ago and its very hard.. actually harder than montis, more tolerant to high phosphate... you could try with a couple of frags, they are pretty cheap
I watched the fragbox corals video on youtube about them and they gave me a little confidence trying them out since I need coral for my top part of the tank. I'm also just thinking about getting more ricordeas they do very well im my tank.

odariel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ricordeas a very easy to keep, a couple of easy SPS frags can serve you as a warning coral, to see that everything is more or less ok, but of course u have to like them :)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the fragbox corals video on youtube about them and they gave me a little confidence trying them out since I need coral for my top part of the tank. I'm also just thinking about getting more ricordeas they do very well im my tank.
Love March’s channel!

OP
OP
KingAh123

KingAh123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love March’s channel!
He is really informative plus he is also a little bit more fast-paced when it comes to talking. I pay way more attention when he explains how to care for corals than somebody like tidal gardens even though they go really in-depth and I love it but sometimes my brain just goes full ADHD and I just lose some of my small attention spans. :D

OP
OP
KingAh123

KingAh123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Love March’s channel!
20221209_195630.jpg

Update one of the heads looks way fluffier now.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned up my lights and after like 10-20 minutes this was the result. The thing is I am very nervous/anxious to be successful in keeping this coral as it is one of my dream corals and my first LPS.
What type of Hammer is it?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 57 30.0%
Back