New to Marine/Reef—Already Obsessed!

Rpaulin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

Just introducing myself to the forum… I’m new to the saltwater world. I currently have a 1 1/2 year old 55 gallon freshwater tank with 5 fancy goldfish, their names are: Georgia, Milton, Callie, Bitsy, and Frost, along with a small CUC of 5 snails (mix of Nirite and Mystery). :face-with-hand-over-mouth: About 2 months ago I decided I wanted a second tank, and what started out as me searching for another freshwater set up quickly turned into upping my game, pushing myself out of my comfort zone, and getting into the world of saltwater…… I had NO idea how addicting this hobby would be! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: After doing hours upon hours of research I quickly realized not only did I want saltwater fish, but now I wanted corals too! I‘ve watched almost all of the BRSTV 5 minute guide videos, I’m on the 41st episode of the BRSTV Beginner’s guide, and I also joined Reef2Reef. After all of my research, I decided to build my own reef tank piece by piece, pictures attached! This is my new 55 gallon rimless tank set up with an AI Nero 5 pump, AI Blade light, with CaribSea live sand, and 40 pounds of Real Reef Rock. I’m running an Oase Thermo canister filter with lily pipes (yes, canister…lol, I know, I know, sumps are better, that’ll be in the next one!). I also set up my own ATO system using a WiFi programmable dosing pump instead of using the traditional ATO set up. I dose 282 ml of RODI water every 2 hours (from 7 am to 5 pm) which equals almost 1/2 a gallon per day of evaporation and keeps my salinity right at 1.026 (I’m not going to lie, ATO systems make me a little nervous:grimacing-face: which is why I decided to use a dosing pump instead, no sensor to fail in the ON position). I’m currently on Day 8 of my Dr Tim’s Fish-less Cycle; Ammonia has dropped down, Nitrites are up….so I’m getting closer (and getting impatient too, but I won’t rush it, Rome wasn’t built in a day), but still not at 0 so here I sit waiting. Planning on getting a bonded pair of Clownfish from Dr. Reef as soon as the cycle is complete, so excited! Anyway, thanks for having this forum and thank you R2R for having a space for us newbies!

IMG_9038.jpeg IMG_9042.jpeg IMG_9052.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely tank you’ve got there, and it’s great you devoted lots of time for research and you’ve decided what it is you like from the hobby. Welcome to the R2R community :)

Whats Up Hello GIF by Make it Move

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the setup it's beautiful that neat clean metal cabinet also very nice I have one on my 30 gallon mixed reef. And once you get that dosing pump tuned in you'll notice that your salinity will be nice and stable, my ATO was a problem for me and that's the direction I went as well.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back