OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some pretty exciting things happen while setting everything up over the weekend, primarily due to not knowing any better.

The first was programming the COR20. I know this pump is significantly oversized for this tank. Still, it was included. If turned down, it should offer a lot of functionality for me, plus all the Apex integrations will be helpful. But….it is overpowered, and when I first plugged it in and tried to program the IQ-Level, it flipped on at 100%!!! Which lapped a wave over the front glass (and onto me kneeling in front of it.)

No harm, no foul was just an exciting moment.

Second, the previous owner of all this stuff had set up the return nozzle with dual spin streams — these are cool, and I’m glad they’re here. BUT what I did not know is these spin streams can siphon water back down into the sump when the return is kicked off.

The way I was instructed to fill this tank by my LFS was to fill the display, then continue filling the display as it drains into the sump. Once the sump is 1-2” from the top stop, and kick on the return to fill all the plumbing. That will then show you your high fill mark. So I did this… First, that was WAY to much water to have in the sump — but paired with the spin stream siphon, it almost was a nightmare. I was trying to program the COR20…and at one point when I thought I had the IQ Level set correctly, I turned the return off (this is while the sump is full to 2” below the rim) and the Spinstreams start sucking water down into the sump. It took me a few seconds to realize what was happening, and at that time, the sump filled up TO. THE. BRIM. It wasn’t until I yanked the spin stream nozzle’s off that it stopped and saved me from an overflow.

At that point, I removed 5ga from the sump, which got me back to a more manageable level and closer to the correct level for my skimmer when that time comes.

Anyway, all part of the fun, right? Wet mopped my office hardwoods last night, and we’re all good now. ;-)

I dosed AlgaeBarn’s Nitrocycle last night, which got me to 2-3ppm Ammonia, then dosed 3oz ish of Fritz Turbostart. Looking forward to testing again tonight and seeing what’s happened.

I was directed to Turbostart by this really comprehensive thread … seems like it’s the best-bottled bacteria.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bacteria-in-a-bottle-myth-or-fact.403226/

Anyway, I’ll update tonight!

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested this morning and I have to tell you I am impressed.

Sunday around 5 pm I was at 2-3ppm ammonia after freshly dosing the tank with AlgaeBarn's Nitrocycle and Fritz Turbostart.

This morning (Tuesday) I am at 0.8ppm Ammonia and solidly into 1ppm Nitrite. I haven't tested Nitrate yet, I'll give that a go tomorrow.

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build thread you got going here, looks like you scored a solid deal! I just ordered my reefer 250 yesterday, will be in within the next week! Looking to do all custom hard plumbing like your setup, so after getting the stand and tank up ill have a plumbing project to do over the next few weeks while my rocks are cycling in a brute trash can.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Aaron Shapiro I had the very same sump as you by Synergy Reef but only in Fusion Green trim. After deciding not to do the Triton Method I sold the sump and bought another Synergy Reef sump this time a CL-26, a filter sock model. Synergy makes some really great stuff!

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Aaron Shapiro I had the very same sump as you by Synergy Reef but only in Fusion Green trim. After deciding not to do the Triton Method I sold the sump and bought another Synergy Reef sump this time a CL-26, a filter sock model. Synergy makes some really great stuff!

Good to know! I've been scratching my head at how mechanical filtration would work here but the way I understand it is... IN the fuge section you have a bunch of macroalgae and CUC that take care of any detritus that enters there. May add a sponge between the skimmer section and return pump in the bubble trap, still debating.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Aaron Shapiro I'm not sure exactly how mechanical filtration would work in this model sump with this method but when I was still planning to use my TS-26 I was going to put a strong powerhead in the refugium chamber hoping to keep detritus stirred up allowing it to make it into the skimmer section. There I was hoping it would get sucked into the skimmer intake and get filtered out.

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm beginning to learn that I need to trust my own testing and research...

Long story short, I bought the first 60 gallons of saltwater from my LFS (I only have a 50g/day RODI). When I tested the salinity (after purchasing), I noticed the salinity was very low, somewhere like 1.020. I've slowly been adding salt to my tank since there's nothing living in it, bringing the salinity up to where I want it.

Well, yesterday, I took a sample of my water into the same LFS. Several things concerned me with what they told me. First, they told me that my ammonia was dosed to 5+ PPM, which was significantly different than what I thought I had done.

Secondly, they told me my salinity was very low. As low as their water was originally before I began adding salt.

The frustrating part of this is, I've tested all this myself with my Red Sea kits and saw different.

That same day I'd tested ammonia showing it closer to 1.2ppm. Plus, I'd be steadily working on my salinity and finally had it leveled out at 1.026.

All this to say, based on what I've read, consistency is the most important thing. SO, from this point, I'll be deferring to my testing numbers and not relying on an LFS to verify my information. Also, should I need to purchase saltwater again, I'll ask to test the salinity before trucking 15 - 5gallon buckets home.

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 6.44.18 PM.png

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome progress. You will love RSR250. enjoying mine. Build thread below. I have sensor LEDs, check out the thread since you wanted to swap yours. Very happy with mine.

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're getting closer... Ammonia today was somewhere between .1 and 0ppm... Nitrite is V high though, I'm sure nitrate is as well.

IMG_5041.JPG

IMG_0477.JPG

Took a chunk of live rock from my cycled BioCube and tossed it in the sump hopefully that turbo charges the cycling.

IMG_5796.JPG

Also hoping to get some algae soon so I can introduce a CUC. Debating about picking up some brackish Molly's of a damsel or two and seeing how they do. I think I'm a few days away from that still though.

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still cycling away... Hoping this weekend to introduce some fish, maybe a pair or clowns etc... We shall see.

In the meantime I setup the fuge with supplies from PodYourReef!

IMG_1273.JPG

Running a Kessil H380 for my Fuge on an opposite schedule as the display tank's light.

IMG_0535.JPG

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up leveling your tank and stand when setting it up? If so what did you use for shims?

Yes! I guess I never updated about that. A buddy helped me get it nice and level.

I wound up using composite shims from home depot. The little feet on the RSR stand made it so that the shims stick out a bit (it's tough to snap them off so they don't show), but it's level... So that's what matters.

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wound up using composite shims from home depot. The little feet on the RSR stand made it so that the shims stick out a bit (it's tough to snap them off so they don't show), but it's level... So that's what matters.

I just set my reefer 250 up the other day, its about 1/4 low on the left side of the tank. Was wondering what people use to level, was advised against wood in case of a spill and it gets wet. Another guy had a great idea of buying like 2 squares of vinyl tile because they are roughly 1/8 thick and cutting it with scissors to fit under the feet to prop it up. That was my one worry with the reefer stand, there are so many feet once i lift on up with a shim it raises the ones around it up lol. Was becoming a pain. Going to mess with it more this weekend and get it perfect before i water test it. The tank and stand are amazing! the glass is so clear and the stand is a lot more sturdy than i was thinking it would be. Going to get my build thread going here in the next couple weeks also! Im going to do a 4 month tank cycle though, 1st month rocks in a brute container. 2nd month cycle in the tank, after the 3rd month cycle is over ill start with lights on and fish. After the 4th month add coral and go from there, going to do the BRS/WWC method, bare bottom, high flow in tank, SPS only.

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set my reefer 250 up the other day, its about 1/4 low on the left side of the tank. Was wondering what people use to level, was advised against wood in case of a spill and it gets wet. Another guy had a great idea of buying like 2 squares of vinyl tile because they are roughly 1/8 thick and cutting it with scissors to fit under the feet to prop it up. That was my one worry with the reefer stand, there are so many feet once i lift on up with a shim it raises the ones around it up lol. Was becoming a pain. Going to mess with it more this weekend and get it perfect before i water test it. The tank and stand are amazing! the glass is so clear and the stand is a lot more sturdy than i was thinking it would be. Going to get my build thread going here in the next couple weeks also! Im going to do a 4 month tank cycle though, 1st month rocks in a brute container. 2nd month cycle in the tank. 3rd month cycle with light and fish. 4th month add coral and go from there, going to do the BRS/WWC method, bare bottom, high flow in tank, SPS only.

Yeah, the little feet are a pain. I wound up leveling the feet farthest out, then shimmed the remaining feet so they're being supported by composite shims as well.

Composite shims should support like 2k pounds, won't mildew or rot etc... It's what was suggested most of the places when I looked into it.

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0538.JPG

Picture from my Dad. This is going to be my solution to cord management. Taking some inspiration from other folk’s apex mounting boards, I asked my dad if he could help me come up with something. This is what we ended up with. This will mount on the wall next to the tank with a french cleat, and have all the control boxes for the apex, gyres, and whatever else mounted to it. We’ll also drill holes so the cords can route back into the box then (if needed) down to the tank through the bottom holes. Hopefully, it works out as we intend!! The next picture is my current “rat-king” of cables...

IMG_2300.JPG

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! The tank is up and running. Working on moving some livestock over from my biocube today and this week...

One area I'm kinda scratching my head about is the lack of mechanical filtration... Since there are no filter socks, media, or anything else in this Synergy TS-26 sump I'm not really sure how detritus gets removed. Thinking about placing floss or a coarse sponge in the bubble trap just before the return compartment...

Here:

IMG_1566.JPG

Or... ditching this sump entirely and building myself a traditional sump from a 20B or something like that.

Any thoughts?

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or... ditching this sump entirely and building myself a traditional sump from a 20B or something like that.

Any thoughts?

Since its a triton method sump people don't usually run mechanical filtration, they let the chaeto grow out and become the filtration itself with some inverts in the refugium area to eat whatever detritus the chaeto doesn't catch. Im not a huge fan of this, i would almost re-work the piping and hang a theiling compact roller mat on the back there in the refugium chamber.

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since its a triton method sump people don't usually run mechanical filtration, they let the chaeto grow out and become the filtration itself with some inverts in the refugium area to eat whatever detritus the chaeto doesn't catch. Im not a huge fan of this, i would almost re-work the piping and hang a theiling compact roller mat on the back there in the refugium chamber.

Right well for the time being I’ve added a coarse sponge between the skimmer and return chamber. I’ll figure the rest out later.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back