OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just finished plumbing the sump after moving it inside. Everything went together pretty easily — always nervous putting together something that's gonna circulate ~70gallons of saltwater 24/7. But it seems good to go, so I'll roll with it. The original owner put some cool LED lights in the cabinet. Kinda dig it, may look for something similar that I can install a little differently myself.

IMG_4740.JPG

IMG_3847.JPG

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received 100 lbs of dry reef rock from Reef Cleaners on Friday. I took some time this evening and attempted scaping. I taped out the inside dimensions of my tank on my dining room table (thank god for supportive spouses)... and began to fool with the rocks.

IMG_3163.JPG

I originally thought I wanted to do two separate islands with a channel between.

IMG_1773.JPG

It quickly became apparent that these rocks were really lending themselves to an arch type configuration:

IMG_3247.JPG

I wanted to maximize the cave/arch potentially so I refined a bit more:

IMG_7816.jpg

Forgive my quick and dirty PS job on the image. I wanted to replicate the background it will be up against. I will epoxy the main pieces together once I've landed on a design but this allows a lot of surface area for coral placement and tons of hidey holes for fish. I wanted to sit with this for an evening before I commit.

Any thoughts or feedback? I'm hesitant to take this apart...I had one solid design the took it down and found it to be a real chore to reassemble.

I also thought it'd be cool to be able to have some little islands in the sand in front of the main stricture for a little acan mound or zoa garden. That's the two rocks on either side at the bottom, these are easily moved though.

Thanks all!!

darkrabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following!

I really like that sump.... I'd rather have that than mine, frankly. Mine's way too tight.

Make sure those rocks are stable... Don't want one tipping over and falling on a coral :) One mistake I made when I did mine was not to put acrylic rods through them to hold in place or epoxy. Now I can't easily do it, and they're balanced on a wing and a prayer.

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following!

I really like that sump.... I'd rather have that than mine, frankly. Mine's way too tight.

Make sure those rocks are stable... Don't want one tipping over and falling on a coral :) One mistake I made when I did mine was not to put acrylic rods through them to hold in place or epoxy. Now I can't easily do it, and they're balanced on a wing and a prayer.

Thanks! I'm definitely going to epoxy them together tonight. From what I've been reading using some of the Coralstick stuff plus super glue on either end does the trick pretty well. I'm just going to do the major pieces, but enough to keep it stable.

Gotta figure out the setup I want in my sump, I have the NYOS skimmer and a BRS mini carbon reactor, not sure where to put everything...

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice score! Did you decide to just keep the tank instead of ordering a new one?

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice score! Did you decide to just keep the tank instead of ordering a new one?

I did, a new tank alone is nearly as much as I paid for all of this stuff. I think some of the earlier folks were right that once there’s sand, water, and rock in here it won’t be as noticeable.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to RedSea! I like the reef cleaners rock, that is what I have in my tank! I loved that COR pump when I ran it!

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh dude! I follow you on Youtube

Learn from my mistakes and don't do them! haha I appreciate you following along, its been a heck of a journey!

You visit aquatic critter in Nashville, I thought I saw a mention of Nashville in an earlier post.

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learn from my mistakes and don't do them! haha I appreciate you following along, its been a heck of a journey!

You visit aquatic critter in Nashville, I thought I saw a mention of Nashville in an earlier post.

Yessir, I work just north of the Nashville Zoo so I'm right down the road from the Critter. In there probably 1-2x a week just to kick tires and see what's up.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back