New to me tank! 2yrs old tank I took over

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m pretty new to the hobby. Did an innovative marine 30 long for a few months, kept fish happy and got corals to grow. I just got a 2 year old Red Sea reefer 250 and I’m looking for advice. Here’s what I got

-40-50 lbs 2 year old rock. Has some aptasia
-large bag of bio pellets
-large clump of cheato
-2 ai hydra 26 hd

I threw out the sand and added 40 lb of Fiji pink live sand. With all of the new sand, but existing rock and bio balls, I feel like I might have a mini cycle maybe? Should I run lights to keep corals alive or will I be seeing algae? I am getting a good skimmer tomorrow.

Basically, what should I expect to happen with that much live rock and bio media, while using new sand. And what should I do to the aptasia. I see a dozen or two. Superglue worked for me in the past. Thanks!

pscoma17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on tank for aptasia I would use berghia nudibranch long has you don't have any wrasse in the tank and for you adding the sand I can't really say I figure there would be small cycle until bacteria balanced out

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on tank for aptasia I would use berghia nudibranch long has you don't have any wrasse in the tank and for you adding the sand I can't really say I figure there would be small cycle until bacteria balanced out
Thanks. I do have a 6 line. Also a filefish and two peppermints who aren’t doing their job lol.
I’ll be keeping an eye on any ammonia spike

pscoma17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I have been there I had aptasia for long time I tried the file fish it didn't work for me. peppermint shrimp are hit and miss. I ended up with a copperband it keeps it out of display but still have aptasia in overflow and sump. it don't bother me as long as it stays there

parkwaytrash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved some older rock from my 50 to my new 125, it had a lil bit of aptasia. So before I start moving the coral and fish into new tank, I killed the aptasia with kalk paste!
So I’m pretty new to the hobby. Did an innovative marine 30 long for a few months, kept fish happy and got corals to grow. I just got a 2 year old Red Sea reefer 250 and I’m looking for advice. Here’s what I got

-40-50 lbs 2 year old rock. Has some aptasia
-large bag of bio pellets
-large clump of cheato
-2 ai hydra 26 hd

I threw out the sand and added 40 lb of Fiji pink live sand. With all of the new sand, but existing rock and bio balls, I feel like I might have a mini cycle maybe? Should I run lights to keep corals alive or will I be seeing algae? I am getting a good skimmer tomorrow.

Basically, what should I expect to happen with that much live rock and bio media, while using new sand. And what should I do to the aptasia. I see a dozen or two. Superglue worked for me in the past. Thank

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought and moved a Red Sea Reefer 170 to my home from an someone an hour away and experienced many of the things you have.

Great move on getting new live sand - wish I did that. I did experience a couple of mini cycles after the transfer and had aptasia to.

Aquarium really started to take off and settle PO4 & NO3 after I started a Refugium with chaeto. Now I will not run an aquarium without one.

For the aptasia, I got a copper band. Aptasia gone and now have a beautiful, interesting fish in my aquarium.

F77B1236-862C-4BEA-AC86-BC576EC5AA13.jpeg

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought and moved a Red Sea Reefer 170 to my home from an someone an hour away and experienced many of the things you have.

Great move on getting new live sand - wish I did that. I did experience a couple of mini cycles after the transfer and had aptasia to.

Aquarium really started to take off and settle PO4 & NO3 after I started a Refugium with chaeto. Now I will not run an aquarium without one.

For the aptasia, I got a copper band. Aptasia gone and now have a beautiful, interesting fish in my aquarium.

F77B1236-862C-4BEA-AC86-BC576EC5AA13.jpeg
Thanks! Does copper band go after any corals?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Does copper band go after any corals?
Copperbands are usually reef safe. Did have one once that started nibbling at a torch. Quickly caught him and sold him and then got another.

If you do go the copperband route, make sure you see the copperband eating at LFS before buying.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back