New (To me) Tank Wet/Dry System W/ Bio Balls

JamesRPaquette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Just got a 110 gallon Tall Boy for a steal, it came with a wet/dry trickle system (Pics attached.) I've done alot of research over the last couple of months before I decided to make this huge purchase and I heard that these types of filtration systems can become "Nitrate Factories." I have read that I can add Matrix and Denitrate in with the Bioballs to cut down on the increased Nitarates. Wanted to get some thoughts on this.

Thanks!
thumbnail_IMG_5127.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5125.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5121.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5126.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5128.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably have enough rock to deal with the nitrate cycle. So you don't need the bio balls. I'd pull them and turn it into a refugium... maybe with a bit more rock and a filter sock.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have great gas exchange, provided you keep the balls out of the water.

I think we need to retire the term "nitrate factory" it is beyond meaningless now. What is really happening with these systems is that because of the large air water exchange they are heavily aerobic. With the large surface area of the bioballs, biofilm quickly grows and creates a very efficient way to nitrifiy waste (convert to nitrate). The reason that these systems were dropped in favor of foam fractioning (skimming) is that skimmers can export the nutrients whereas these just nitrify them.

Be aware that these need good access to clean fresh air and a closed cabinet with no circulation degrades the effieciency of these systems.

To note, in mature systems nitrate is actually not a problem and is often dosed because if it's loss to the system. When wet/dry systems get to maturity they are really helpful and efficient. If you are planning a dead rock start on your tank you will get algae, even skimmers can't keep it away. Because the issue isn't the nutrients per se it is the lack of solid biodiversity. This system is great for live rock curing because of the speed at which the nutrient die off from the live rock is easily managed by the wet/dry.

Be prepared for water changes use quality live rock and water change regularly through the break in.

Good luck. :)

OP
OP
JamesRPaquette

JamesRPaquette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question I am hoping some of you can help me in regards to this tank I bought. It still had a bit of water in it. It came with sand and live rock. When I tested what little water it had in it, it wasn't in spec. What do you suggest. Is the sand still good to use or do you suggest I just start fresh?

Thanks!

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question I am hoping some of you can help me in regards to this tank I bought. It still had a bit of water in it. It came with sand and live rock. When I tested what little water it had in it, it wasn't in spec. What do you suggest. Is the sand still good to use or do you suggest I just start fresh?

Thanks!
If the sand and rock weren't maintained in circulating full strength sea water they are dead. If that is the case then you don't need to replace them just go through a rinsing and cleaning process to ready them for re-use.

If the rock and sand are dead then you need to re-start the biology. There are multiple strategies for doing this. I suggest live rock collected from the ocean (not from your LFS) and biology from Indo Pacific Sea Farms. If you know someone with an established tank that you trust this can also be a good source for a solid biology start. It is important to rebuild the biology either way, so this should be on the top of your priority list.

FYI I am going through a build right now you can check out my build thread, because am basicly at the same starting point as you with the new build. :)

OP
OP
JamesRPaquette

JamesRPaquette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i posted on my build thread but I have a question, I got everything allset up finally last night. However Im running into an over flow issue. Either I dont have enough water in the box and the pump is having issues or when I cut the power too much water is rushing into the box and its going to over flow.

Any ideas?

Pics attached.
thumbnail_IMG_5149.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5148.jpg

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of the return pump pipes going into the tank.

Remember the water will go down the overflows and down the return pump pipe.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking im going to need a bigger sump system, but Im trying to figure out how the previous owners got it to work... or maybe they never did.
Pics of the return pump pipes going into the tank.

Remember the water will go down the overflows and down the return pump pipe.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look like the return pipe goes very deep in to the water but you can drill a hole in the return pipe side right below the water line that will break the syphon when the pump stops. You may need a larger sump.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At somepoint there should be a siphon break, and water should stop flowing out of tank. How low is the return jet pointed? I always keep mine just under the water so theres a small amount coming into my sump. Although my new tank the factory drilled a siphon break in the return plumbing. The good news is its dollar a gallon sale at petco, and if you gotta get a new sump, it wont cost you a million bucks to build one.

OP
OP
JamesRPaquette

JamesRPaquette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At somepoint there should be a siphon break, and water should stop flowing out of tank. How low is the return jet pointed? I always keep mine just under the water so theres a small amount coming into my sump. Although my new tank the factory drilled a siphon break in the return plumbing. The good news is its dollar a gallon sale at petco, and if you gotta get a new sump, it wont cost you a million bucks to build one.
Maybe thats it, maybe the jets pointed too far down, I noticed it was moving some of the sand bed around when I started it up last night so I just moved it to the right but not up.

I feel like its just about to break but thats right when its about to start over flowing from the box. I know, im thinking now is just the time to just start a whole new sump while petco is having their gallon dollar sale!

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe thats it, maybe the jets pointed too far down, I noticed it was moving some of the sand bed around when I started it up last night so I just moved it to the right but not up.

I feel like its just about to break but thats right when its about to start over flowing from the box. I know, im thinking now is just the time to just start a whole new sump while petco is having their gallon dollar sale!
We're here for you no matter what. Definitely test that though. When I filled my latest tank, I checked like 10 times to make sure I wouldn't overflow.

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have a similar sump and was asking about the efficiency on the bio balls. I am going to put brightwell aquatics bio blox in my trickle system for more bacteria coverage and I'm also putting chemi pure blue and purgen in the sump to help with the water quality. Will be cool if you build your own sump! Good info posted from others about this type of sump too...

Attachments

• 20201114_131140.jpg
    20201114_131140.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
JamesRPaquette

JamesRPaquette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put matrix and lava rock in there too with a piece of rock (want something for the pods and bacteria to live on in the sump, Ive read that these were all good options and that the matrix will help with high nitrate levels that may be produced by these types of systems) Also hoping to turn the lower level of this into a refugium.

If moving the return jet up doesnt work then im just going to petco and getting a 20gal long and going to reconfigure it into something that will work. I dont really think this sump is big enough, the pump barley fits in the box.

Kind of a wait and see game...

Last edited:

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put matrix and lava rock in there too with a piece of rock (want something for the pods and bacteria to live on in the sump, Ive read that these were all good options and that the matrix will help with high nitrate levels that may be produced by these types of systems) Also hoping to turn the lower level of this into a refugium.

If moving the return jet up doesnt work then im just going to petco and getting a 20gal long and going to reconfigure it into something that will work. I dont really think this sump is big enough, the pump barley fits in the box.

Kind of a wait and see game...
Id stray away from the lava rock in saltwater. Ive heard it will leach.

OP
OP
JamesRPaquette

JamesRPaquette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id stray away from the lava rock in saltwater. Ive heard it will leach.
I read that black lava rock can leach iron but red wasnt suppose to leach (At least I am hoping not) Its very porous so I am hoping for some good bacteria growth. Hopefully no issues, I have an iron test kit handy just to be on the safe side.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back