NEW to Mississippi... Looking to connect

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I am currently in Wichita Kansas but moving to somewhere between Columbus and pass Christian in may. I know wide range I and my wife have family in Louisiana and I have family in Columbus so any where between is doable for us to be closer to all. I have kept a reef in my classroom for years and really hope to find a school that allows me to continue to do that. That being said I am also looking to connect with local reef groups the support of knowledge and places to trade frags and fish and generally help each other is a valuable lesson on many fronts for students. IF I cant reef in my school I will of course still have my home reef. MY LFS up here is holding all my live stock and shipping to me when I get set up. ( Great Guy) Also any FB pages for Mississippi reef groups would be a great piece of info. Look forward to Reefing in Mississippi!!!

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That warmer weather is gonna be nice if you enjoy it from KS. Wow, it's gonna be hard to beat your local fish store, very nice, but i've Had good customer service and coral from here if you are ever up that way, it might be out of your way though.
894 Avery Blvd
Ridgeland, MS

Jackson Fish and Coral​

Aquatic Pet Store

Last edited:

Jason Truong

Tiger King
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a teacher in Tupelo that kept a reef tank. That being said, I am a student at Olemiss and we used to have a reef tank in the biology department, but it was too much to take care of. There a few reefers scattered here and there, and they aren't really that unified. It would be a great idea for you to start!

Brian Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I am currently in Wichita Kansas but moving to somewhere between Columbus and pass Christian in may. I know wide range I and my wife have family in Louisiana and I have family in Columbus so any where between is doable for us to be closer to all. I have kept a reef in my classroom for years and really hope to find a school that allows me to continue to do that. That being said I am also looking to connect with local reef groups the support of knowledge and places to trade frags and fish and generally help each other is a valuable lesson on many fronts for students. IF I cant reef in my school I will of course still have my home reef. MY LFS up here is holding all my live stock and shipping to me when I get set up. ( Great Guy) Also any FB pages for Mississippi reef groups would be a great piece of info. Look forward to Reefing in Mississippi!!!
Where did you end up?

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still in Kansas closing on my house here and headed to Mississippi end of May. Its looking more and more like we will be down on the coast for at least a year then the Columbus area after that.

Brian Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still in Kansas closing on my house here and headed to Mississippi end of May. Its looking more and more like we will be down on the coast for at least a year then the Columbus area after that.
You may fall in love with the coast. Hurricanes might change your mind though. The bad ones get us this far inland.

Marshall1385

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not currently in Mississippi, but I'm from there. Currently live in Fort Walton Beach, Fl. If you are on the coast, you are within driving distance of a few good places in NOLA and Emerald Cost Coral Farm in Pensacola. I've heard good things about stores in Mobile as well.

germo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That warmer weather is gonna be nice if you enjoy it from KS. Wow, it's gonna be hard to beat your local fish store, very nice, but i've Had good customer service and coral from here if you are ever up that way, it might be out of your way though.
894 Avery Blvd
Ridgeland, MS

Jackson Fish and Coral​

Aquatic Pet Store
Jackson fish and coral is great I just got my two orange storms from them. Two very nice guys in there. Def check it out.

germo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am from central Mississippi around the Brandon area. I have spent a lot of time in Columbus and I have a job coming up on the coast. I always joke and call it the great black hole because when you get in it’s hard to get out.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may fall in love with the coast. Hurricanes might change your mind though. The bad ones get us this far inland.
I ended up in Caledonia jus outside of Columbus. about 1/2 mile from my brother, so back around family is great. He has 2 young daughters that love animals hoping to show them the reefing Hobby

ash9965

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are a couple of good stores within 2 hours of you
Desoto Aquatics - southaven MS
Main Drain Aquatics - near memphis - Bartlett I think

Matt79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm located in Olive Branch, MS and I agree with ash9965. Desoto Aquatics is a great place. If he doesn't have it in stock he can order it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back