New to QT, need a bit of help to finalise my process

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

This is my first attempt at a QT and i want your advise on the process I'm putting together. I've read lots of threads and watched many videos, still got more research to do but here goes. I only want a simple but effective process. What i've got so far.
i'm looking to treat for the following on new fish coming in.
Ich - Seachem Cupraminre (Copper)
Velvet - API General Cure
fluke - API General Cure or (AquaCare Anti-Fluke and Wormer)
internal parasites - API General Cure or (AquaCare Anti-Fluke and Wormer)

In the UK we can't get API GC, i think because it contains Metroplex, but I'm going to order it off ebay and see if it arrives, if not i need an alternative. At the moment i have AquaCare Anti-Fluke and Wormer which contains Flubendazole. i need some advise on whether this is good stuff or not. hard to find reviews online by respectable reefers.

tank water used in the QT (nothing in qt will go into contact with the dt) leave filter sponge in sump 2 weeks prior to quarantine. (levels monitored throughout)
fish in for 2 days untreated and monitored / fed
50% water change
treat with copper (Seachem Cupraminre)
48hrs 50% water change
2nd dose of copper (Seachem Cupraminre)
48hrs 50% water change
monitor feeding and no treatment for further 5 days to prevent stress on fish
if i can get API GC
follow the instructions for 2 doses and continue with 50% water changes when required.
if not, then to use AC fluke and wormer which is one treatment a week for 4 weeks.
maintaining 50% water changes after every week or earlier if required.

What do you think? am i on the right track any advise is welcomed
thanks in advance

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine will target both ich and velvet and needs to administered at therapeutic levels of 0.5ppm for 2-4 week. The doses should be spread out am/pm over 3-4 days increasing the copper levels to goal is maintained.

API GC does contain metro and praziquantel which targets flukes, brook, and bacterial. 2 doses are administered over 7 day period between 50% water changes.

Fresh water dips with matching water ph and temperature is advised as the first step to ensure flukes aren't present on the specimen.

Please read this article link below.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Colin_S

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up... one question, would a carbon media bag be sufficient to remove the copper or does it have to be in a reactor?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t use a reactor. Run media bag and conduct large water changes.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine will target both ich and velvet and needs to administered at therapeutic levels of 0.5ppm for 2-4 week. The doses should be spread out am/pm over 3-4 days increasing the copper levels to goal is maintained.

API GC does contain metro and praziquantel which targets flukes, brook, and bacterial. 2 doses are administered over 7 day period between 50% water changes.

Fresh water dips with matching water ph and temperature is advised as the first step to ensure flukes aren't present on the specimen.

Please read this article link below.

Would you recommend the same treatment for angels as well? I read that they don’t like copper as much

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes same for angels. I put all 3 of my angels through the same QT process

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels are amazing. I have 9” male scribble, 4” conspicuous and 5” regal

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels are amazing. I have 9” male scribble, 4” conspicuous and 5” regal
Nice. The scribble and conspicuous are on my wish list. Sometimes, I think of getting two scribbled angels. How do you find yours? Would two scribbled and conspicuous be too much for 205 gallon tank? I’ll probably 3 tangs and some small fish (dwarf angels, anthias and clown fish)

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I error on the side of caution with over stocking. For example I have 4 fish in 160 gallon. All the fish you mentioned are territorial so you will need to make sure your aqua scape has many hiding spaces.

205 gallon tank is sufficient for 2 scribbled angels if acclimated at the same time.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I error on the side of caution with over stocking. For example I have 4 fish in 160 gallon. All the fish you mentioned are territorial so you will need to make sure your aqua scape has many hiding spaces.

205 gallon tank is sufficient for 2 scribbled angels if acclimated at the same time.
Ok perfect. Thanks. I’m thinking of getting two captive scribbled or one captive bred scribble and one captive bred conspicuous angel. I have bunch of hiding places and over hangs in my fake rock and coral set up. I wrote a post this morning on the fish that I was thinking about getting with the hopes of getting some feed back however I don’t think people go into the fish discussion section. Maybe I need to repost it elsewhere on the site so that people will see it and give me there feedback Thoughts?

OP
OP
Colin_S

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whilst treating copper, and i need to remove ammonia, would you treat with seashem AmGuard (Ammonia removal) or do water changes? i'm assuming doing water changes will deplete the copper and make it ineffective?

thanks

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately you can’t use ammonia reducers with copper as it will have I’ll effects on your livestock. You’ll need to
Conduct water changes to keep ammonia in check but the copper must be added to the new mix prior to adding It to your QT maintaining therapeutic levels

Last edited:
OP
OP
Colin_S

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the qt, i only have a internal filter and a filter sponge, is the sponge filter the main source of filtration? i think the internal filter has carbon in it, so i want to take the filter part off and use it as a power head. then use that section for carbon when required.
in the future, I'll put the sponge filter & media bag in the sump for 2 weeks prior to quarantine

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back