New to quarantine. Advice needed

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My 300 gallon is setup cycled ready to go. So I am starting to stock it with fishes.

My quarantine tank is 40 breeder setup from R2R sticky thread.

I got three biota tangs and pair of clownfish.
They been in quarantine 4 days now. No medication is being run atm.

I was going to let them chill for 10 days without any meds etc.

What after that ? Should I still do small dose of prazipro and cupramine ?

I don't really want to do copper treatment, but was thinking low dose of prazipro according to instructions.

What do you guys advice.
Do mods regimen or let them hang for 3 weeks and if everything is OK put them in DT.
Thanks

OP
OP
ssdawood

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey guys no help ?

Should I run prazi or not. They are all doing good.
Healthy eating etc.
Please advice Mr. I dont want to torture them if not needed.

sherb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there - check out this forum’s quarantine sticky thread. It’s hosted by R2R’s resident fish disease expert, Jay Hemdal. There’s a ton of good information in there… https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/current-quarantine-protocol.825055/
That should answer most of your questions; if not, post something specific back here and I’m sure you’ll get replies.

Tim

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend either full dose meds or no meds at all. Using small doses will not treat the illness and will promote resistance to meds.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd run a couple rounds prazi and cupr, just in case.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend either full dose meds or no meds at all. Using small doses will not treat the illness and will promote resistance to meds.

I concur. A sub clinical dose is rather pointless.

Some people do quarantine only with no meds.

Other people run a prophylactic dosing regime on the notion of eliminating any sub clinical infections.

Prazipro is there to eliminate a variety of internal pests and is reputed to be rather gentle on fish. So why not?

Cupramine or any copper treatment is dosage sensitive so you need some copper testing to be sure that you have a clinical dose that is effective but is not so high as to harm the fish. Copper is effective against a wide variety of infections like ich, and brook and others. Certain fish are reputed to be rather sensitive to copper treatment.

In my experience, tangs have fared pretty well with cupramine. Clown fish are a kind of damsels and damsels are supposed to be pretty tough. So doing a full prazipro and cupramine dose should work but there are no guarantees in this.

There is a risk for any medication. The advantage is you reduce the chance of an infection in your display tank. So it is a trade off. I chose to go with a prophylactic dosage. But I cannot and do not fault someone who uses the quarantine with observation and only uses treatment for observed disease.

OP
OP
ssdawood

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you to all. That's all I wanted to hear. I read the sticky hence I am quarantine first time in my life. Only question left unanswered was to dose meds or not.

So here we go. Full quarantine full dose. That will be the protocol.

sherb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure to run your copper first, then remove the copper and run the meds. Don’t use copper and Prazi together.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are eating and fat with no obvious signs of anything is when I would tend to do the meds first. These can suppress appetite. Both treatments can though. How well do you trust your source?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%

Back