Welcome to R2R!!

giphy (35).gif

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while i agree on the radions, they are best with a reeflink or an apex controller, the reeflink and or the apex would be extra cost, down the road if you chose to go into. more automation they are easliy one of the best brands on the market, more people run radions than any other light. My suggestion would be an ATI Sun power 24" t5 fixture for cost reasons and you can keep pretty much anything you want. the t5 non hybird fixtures are becoming more and more left behind, ive seen the dimmable 24" ATI fixtures go for under 200.00 on this forum. this is why i would suggest it for a newer reefer, its set it and forget it, most have built in timers and you can keep anything you want without over-lighting the tank, and get great results at the same time. as you upgrade things down the road and research and learn more as you go, then i would look at lighting options moving into LEDS.

EDIT* I forgot about the mobius radion ready lights* duh and i run G5s.. but there would be an even higher cost for one.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I agree they are not getting enough light. With enough light you don't even need to feed them other than what they sponge from the tank when you feed fish. Never had much luck until years ago when I went to MH/VHO and the population exploded. I started with one in my current tank and after neglecting the tank a while I ended up with a couple hundred. Current tank had MH/T5 then Kessil A360WE, then MH/T5 and now Radion G5's. Currently working on trying to get rid of most of them and reclaim my tank. With good light they do well with low or high nutrients. Actually feeding them mysis is a good way to speed up the reproduction. I've been selling some but at the point of giving them away or disposing of them.

OP
OP
Sova

Sova

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I agree they are not getting enough light. With enough light you don't even need to feed them other than what they sponge from the tank when you feed fish. Never had much luck until years ago when I went to MH/VHO and the population exploded. I started with one in my current tank and after neglecting the tank a while I ended up with a couple hundred. Current tank had MH/T5 then Kessil A360WE, then MH/T5 and now Radion G5's. Currently working on trying to get rid of most of them and reclaim my tank. With good light they do well with low or high nutrients. Actually feeding them mysis is a good way to speed up the reproduction. I've been selling some but at the point of giving them away or disposing of them.
Thank you for the feedback! That's awesome that they are doing so well. I had my originals under radions until I moved them into the new tank. Under the radions they were multiplying as well. I will upgrade my light to something stronger! What types of BTAs do you have?

OP
OP
Sova

Sova

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while i agree on the radions, they are best with a reeflink or an apex controller, the reeflink and or the apex would be extra cost, down the road if you chose to go into. more automation they are easliy one of the best brands on the market, more people run radions than any other light. My suggestion would be an ATI Sun power 24" t5 fixture for cost reasons and you can keep pretty much anything you want. the t5 non hybird fixtures are becoming more and more left behind, ive seen the dimmable 24" ATI fixtures go for under 200.00 on this forum. this is why i would suggest it for a newer reefer, its set it and forget it, most have built in timers and you can keep anything you want without over-lighting the tank, and get great results at the same time. as you upgrade things down the road and research and learn more as you go, then i would look at lighting options moving into LEDS.

EDIT* I forgot about the mobius radion ready lights* duh and i run G5s.. but there would be an even higher cost for one.
Thank you so much for the feedback I greatly appreciate it! I will look into upgrading my lights asap!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back