NEW to R2R and NEW to the salty world

PbMan26

Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there! I'm excited to have found this forum. It looks like a great group of people. I'm fairly fluent with fresh water aquariums but I'm new to the marine aquariums. I'm laying out a new build and just curious if I'm on the right track. I believe I have all the main components required although there are many more that can be added. I'm looking for any input you may have or if I'm on the wrong track, it would be great to know before I get much further! I left out some of the more basic items in my list below. Thank you!

Tank / Sump / Stand / Lights:
I was going to go with the Red Sea Reefer Deluxe 350. Seems to have a good value for the lights being added.
http://www.redseafish.com/aquarium-systems/reefer/#DELUXE

Media Reactor:
AquaMaxx BioMaxx
https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...let_Reactors-AquaMaxx-UJ5111-FIFRISBP-vi.html

Protein Skimmer:
Reef Octopus Classic 150
https://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Oc...ums_Reefs-Reef_Octopus-CV12514-FIPSIS-vi.html

Return Pump:
Reef Octopus VarioS-2
https://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Oc...m_Pumps-Reef_Octopus-CV25218-FIWPEPZT-vi.html

Power Head:
Maxspect XF230
https://www.marinedepot.com/Maxspec...um_Powerheads-Maxspect-0M07230-FIPHAD-vi.html

Heater:
Eheim Jager 250W
https://www.marinedepot.com/Eheim_J..._Aquarium_Heaters-Jager-EJ1111-FIHTGH-vi.html

Thanks for checking it out and I look forward to sharing what I end up doing! If you have any input or recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Paul

kenniole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Paul! The Red Sea series are beautiful tanks. In my opinion I would use 2 heaters just in case one fails if possible. I would also look into investing in an ATO.

OP
OP
PbMan26

PbMan26

Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Paul! The Red Sea series are beautiful tanks. In my opinion I would use 2 heaters just in case one fails if possible. I would also look into investing in an ATO.

Thanks!

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a heater, I would recommend some sort of controller. The thermostats on most heaters are prone to failure. Failure on off is not so bad. Failure on "on" is catastrophic.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. No such thing as a "silly question" here. Cheers!

+1 on the heater controller. Been there done that, no fun. Finnex Titanium heater and Finnex controller. Works great. Digital adjustment of temp and you can set high and low alerts.

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try everything possible to not use a heater. Out of all the equipment that has failed on me over the years, the heather is #1 on that list. I would for sure get a controller if you have to use it.

ATO is a must really. Especially if you evaporate a lot of water (open tank, fans blowing on water) cause the salinity will swing drastically the more evaporation you have.

Also, with more evaporation, the cooler your tank runs, so you need to find that balance per say.

I have been using the Prime HD on my 20H for a few weeks now, so far so good. That red sea comes with 2 x 26HD (drool) and should be great for almost any coral. I drool over this tank every time I see it at my LFS.

OP
OP
PbMan26

PbMan26

Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. No such thing as a "silly question" here. Cheers!

+1 on the heater controller. Been there done that, no fun. Finnex Titanium heater and Finnex controller. Works great. Digital adjustment of temp and you can set high and low alerts.
Great thanks

OP
OP
PbMan26

PbMan26

Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try everything possible to not use a heater. Out of all the equipment that has failed on me over the years, the heather is #1 on that list. I would for sure get a controller if you have to use it.

ATO is a must really. Especially if you evaporate a lot of water (open tank, fans blowing on water) cause the salinity will swing drastically the more evaporation you have.

Also, with more evaporation, the cooler your tank runs, so you need to find that balance per say.

I have been using the Prime HD on my 20H for a few weeks now, so far so good. That red sea comes with 2 x 26HD (drool) and should be great for almost any coral. I drool over this tank every time I see it at my LFS.
Thanks. Yea I can see the heaters being a pain but I don't think I can do without one.

OP
OP
PbMan26

PbMan26

Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The reefer deluxe shows it comes with a "Integrated automatic top-up system with reservoir". It's a bit basic but isn't that essentially an ATO?

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You're at the right place to get positive feedback!!

welcom.jpg

OP
OP
PbMan26

PbMan26

Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Friday!!

So here is an update... Everything changed haha! Here is what I currently have on order / in hand. I'm excited to get this tank!

Tank: Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 500
Lights: Current USA Orbit Marine IC Pro
Pump: Current USA eFlux DC 1900gph
Powerheads: 2 x Current USA eFlux 2100gph
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Elite 200-Int
Heaters: 2 x Finnex Deluxe Titanium 500W with controller

I also have 100lbs of Key Largo rock from MarcoRocks. Checking out arrangements now.

OP
OP
PbMan26

PbMan26

Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an Initial rock layout. I tried to give fish some caves and plenty of coral ledges. If anything looks glaringly bad, please yell!

9415f6461bc20e5ba79d92270f83a23d.jpg

1fb35ce46373632de8afc7f2cc2fa2af.jpg

7fe13b39d42efcbb9df991dad2446a4f.jpg

2f234a9a684cd57db4a3e00e0a19544f.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Please keep us posted with your build with tons of photos! Red Sea reefers are beautiful tanks! :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back