New to R2R forum....suggestions for additions to my aquarium

Costag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the forums here! I have become addicted to my marine tank! Slowly been improving my tank with new skimmer, new LED lighting, new RO/DI system over the last 6 months.

Open ended question here......what fish/invertebrate suggestions or your favorites would you have for additions to my tank?

55Gal tank running for about 14 months (moved some new rock in a few months ago and got diatoms:mad: but it came with 2 peanut worms in ito_O, also have some green hair algae)
Probably 35 lbs of Live Rock with fine sand substrate 1-2" deep - No coral (...yet)
Just picked up RO/DI system to help bring nitrates and silicate down - been using for 3 weeks now for water changes. Have trouble keeping snails alive more than 4 weeks at a time - maybe because of the high levels of nitrates. I try to keep feeding to a minimum.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrates - been fluctuating between 40- 80 (been having trouble getting it down because of tap water has high nitrates - hoping RO/DI system will help). Any suggestions or am I on the right path?
pH - 8.1-8.2
Salinity - 1.023

Currently have:
Coral Banded Shrimp -1 (1 year in tank)
Damsels -2 (1 year in tank)
Clownfish - 2 (1 year in tank)
Emerald Crab - 2 (two months in tank)
Yellow Prawn Goby -1 (3 weeks in tank)
Hermit Crabs - 3 (added separately over the last few months)

Was looking for something to eat the diatoms but my goby doesn't seem to be eating them. Got the emerald crabs to feast on the hair algae.

I was going to get another cleaner or peppermint shrimp and wanted to add another fish or two over the next few months.

Thanks in advance for the advice! :)

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Pics of the tank will help make giving livestock reccomendations easier so please post some.

Nerite snails eat diatoms mostly off of rocks and your glass.
Cerith snails are sand sifting detritus eaters
*I'd definetly pick up a few of both of these^
Margarita snails and turbo snails do work on green hair algae (GHA) and other greens

I wouldn't get any more sensitive species like shrimps or fish until you're able to get your nitrates to stay consistently below 40 ppm. On the same topic, what do you have for filtration and what do you do for nutrient export?

OP
OP
C

Costag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of my tank.

IMG_4473[1].JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back