OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good gracious, I am going to love it here [emoji23] The involvement of the community is what makes or breaks websites for me. With this amount of welcomes in such a short time, I can already tell that I will be addicted to this site. I’m already inspired to get to work on my 3D designs tonight!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Take a chair and pull up beside us. We're glad you joined us !!

welcome9.jpg

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a little trouble navigating and figuring some things out, so I thought that I would ask my new found friends here for some help. I am currently wanting to put together a series of threads or articles, but I am not sure how to do so. What are the differences in threads or articles? How do I go about posting an article? Is there a way to post my findings individually and link them together? Or will they need to be posted individually and the reader must search to find them? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

On a side note, I am also looking for a basic 3D designer for my ACER laptop. If anyone has any recommendations on that as well, I would be forever grateful. The "free," ones I have used in the past have seemed to spontaneously crash while in the middle of projects.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can create links to separate threads. Many people will “hold” the first post of their main journal (member’s tanks) to post links later, like a table of contents. You can also keep your most current tank(s) photo on that page as well, so people can see it right away when they visit :)

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a little trouble navigating and figuring some things out, so I thought that I would ask my new found friends here for some help. I am currently wanting to put together a series of threads or articles, but I am not sure how to do so. What are the differences in threads or articles? How do I go about posting an article? Is there a way to post my findings individually and link them together? Or will they need to be posted individually and the reader must search to find them? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

On a side note, I am also looking for a basic 3D designer for my ACER laptop. If anyone has any recommendations on that as well, I would be forever grateful. The "free," ones I have used in the past have seemed to spontaneously crash while in the middle of projects.

Articles can be written and submitted to @Seawitch who is coordinating the R2R articles. Feel free to PM her and I'm sure she would be happy to provide assistance.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome...

I have a BA in Biology, but not marine ...unfortunately, my work deals with my masters in Computer Engineering...I am in the process of putting together a small planted aqaurium to use in conjunction with my sump, may have many questions as this project progresses.

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Wohoo, another horsey reefer :) I have only one, my 4-year old paint gelding... but, I’ve been around them in one way or another for most of my life.

eec39ae4bb334eeaa30463b289ca475a.jpg
That's one handsome fella! Paints to me are unique in the way that they can display so many different patterns! We house 60+/- horses at one time, and you probably won't believe it but we currently only have one paint! He is a 23 year old named, Cowboy! We had another mare who was a paint, named Lovey, but she moved on just before Christmas break! She was special too. If my memory serves me well, she had a particular surgery relating to the use of her tail. Something had unfortunately went wrong, and they ended up having to undergo another surgery to numb the feeling of her tail. Which then lead to her not being able to use. (Some say that is a common practice when horses or involved in showmanship, to keep them from swishing their tails and to promote a more "showy" appearance while in the ring). However, I won't make any comments on that because I don't want to speak on something that I have no knowledge about, whatsoever. What I can say is that the surgery was performed before she reached us, and no surgery of the like has happened to any other horse while I have been employed. Most don't realize that the horses are donated to us and in turn it is a tax write off for whoever donates. NCEA rules state that it must work this way, because otherwise bigger schools would just buy superior horses and out-compete the smaller!

With all that "seriousness," out of the way, I would love to show you my first favorite horse at the unit but she also moved back home to California to be a broodmare! I loved her because she had such a sound mind. Easy to work with, did't complain much. She would tell on people's horsemen abilities because when she did act out, it was due to the inability of someone to understand her while they were working with her! I saw that horse through multiple treatments from wrapping her hind legs after her suspensory ligament surgeries, all the way through her rehab riding when she was getting ready to get back into rotation with the other ponies! I spent several afternoons last summer with her in our large show arena at the unit, just walking her with the occasional jog. Just me and her! I wish I could have known then how much I would miss those moments. But somewhere out in California, there is a one blue eye, and one brown eye mare named Bella that has a piece of my heart. A piece that only she will have so long as I live. Even one day If I am blessed to have a wife, she won't be able to get that piece ;)

I better have a lot of pieces though! Because once Bella was gone. my attention shifted to a 1500lb Warmblood named Cento! Who is currently still with us! His informal name is "Cento-pede"! Let me tell you, that horse has more personality than a lot of humans! Loves to love, and was the first horse I ever saw in any of our given pastures that is able to eat out of any other horse's feed bowl with them. To those who don't understand, horses have a pecking order, and the top usually pushes anyone off of a feed bowl entirely to eat what's in it. Now Cento is top of his pecking order, and he's had trouble with only one other horse named "Jones." However, Cento doesn't always just push other horses off of their feedbowl. He'll share food with them! Now Jones, he is an exception and Jones did it to himself. I know, because I was there to witness it. When we do a pasture introduction, such a new horse to a herd that is already established. We put the new horse in our Teaching Arena, which is about 3 times bigger than a normal paddock, and then we let the head of an established herd in with them. Once they touch noses (talk to each other basically) and we see things are okay, we let the next horse on the pecking order in.

However, due to reasons I'm sure that higher ups decided. We let Duell into the arena first before Jones or Cento. (Duell and toon were Cento's original pasture mates at the time). Then we let Jones in to go talk to Duell. They hit it off instantly, and I mean it could not have happened much better. Meanwhile, I am holding Cento and he's antsy. But he's antsy because he really wants to see who this new horse Jones is. I mean, like really bad! Haha, so I let him in! So Cento goes trotting all happily and boy is he ready to make a new friend. I mean, I can only imagine the horse activities that Cento has already thought of in his mind. Only one problem, and this is where Jones made his mistake. Horses as you probably know will take best-friends. It's their closest buddies. Even horses like Cento who get along with almost all other horses, has buddies he really favors. Well, that buddy was Duell. As Cento trots over, Jones made up in his mind that Duell was his buddy and Cento couldn't have him. Meanwhile, Duell is just taking advantage of the new grass that he has found in the teaching arena and I mean, he's just happy to be there. But as Cento approaches ready to make a new friend, Jones lashes out at him and Cento turns around and comes back our way. Sometime between that lash out and him coming back to us, I like to think that he came to a conclusion in his mind. "I came to this new guy trying to be nice and he's trying to take my boy from me. I'm top dog, and normally I don't like to get nasty, but ole dude has to learn today." That's just kind of how I envisioned that thought process going, haha. But he turned around and I mean he got after Jones like there was no tomorrow for about 10 minutes or so. Then it all settled down, and Toon went in. Everything proceeded as expected.

Now to get back to my main point. I love Cento because of his personality and spirit. Like I said, he loves to love. Just Friday afternoon I was leaving the unit and I saw Cento and Jones giving each other back scratches. There's just never a day where Cento doesn't come to the fence to check your pockets for peppermints or carrots. He nuzzle you, love on you, and he's just never grumpy (You can tell if they pin their ears at you). He's just an all around funny and easy going horse. If I am there when he leaves, that will be another hard day for sure. But I have to be careful, because I can go on and on about horses! I apologize to anyone who has to scroll past this long comment! But if I can remember, I will most definitely get a picture of Cento and post it for you to see!

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome...

I have a BA in Biology, but not marine ...unfortunately, my work deals with my masters in Computer Engineering...I am in the process of putting together a small planted aqaurium to use in conjunction with my sump, may have many questions as this project progresses.
It has been sometime since I have been in freshwater, but I am more than happy to try and help. When I left that part, I was going into the whole CO2 dosing system. I was successful in growing some of the more hardy plants without it though, for sure. I understand the basic processes of how life works and if you give any of my threads a read, you'll see how I preach "balance." Humans work in the same fashion. We obtain equilibrium when positive inputs equal negative inputs. One of my more favorable examples of when positive inputs are greater than negative inputs, is by using the scenario when one of our guy or girl buddies find someone they really like. They become this person infatuated by love, that person they are talking to is perfect, food tastes better, nothing can kill their wonderful mood, so and so forth. In reality, we know these are not true. Haha, and it's not to make anyone get down on themselves at all! It's just reality, and the more I live (even though I am only 24) I have come to find that everything we do including the person that we choose to be, reflects by the decisions we make! Also, happiness is perspective!

Of course there are many things that go into all of that, and I am no psychologist. However, it easy to see when the balance is upset by negative inputs are greater than positive inputs. We become stress, anxiety ridden, depressed. Small conflicts become large ones. Our ability to communicate effectively begins to deteriorate. Then when it wears on us long enough, we do what any naturally living creature with any type of cognitive or I'll be bold enough to say instinctive thinking does, we become desperate. We try to rationalize with impulsive decisions in order to make that outside pressuring/negative force to stop. Which can be we lash out at people, we quit a job, we give up on a dream, we break up with a person, we blame people, etc. You get the point! All of this is not to bring up a post based upon "the betterment of human behavior in order to achieve a more fulfilled life." That's an entirely different topic, and requires a different discussion. However, being that we are humans I find it is one of the more easier and subtle ways to explain how you can achieve most things in your aquarium when making decisions so long as you keep balance in the back of your mind! I will help when I can, and if I can! I sure hope you can count on me, and good luck!!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do! I'm jealous you get to play with warmbloods. They aren't very common in my area, and the ones you do find are either $$$ or otherwise not sound of body and/or mind. Most common are paints, quarter horses, arabians, and OTTB; with the odd sprinkling of draft/draft-draft crosses and mustangs.

My boy is by far the youngest, and therefore the lowest on the totem pole in his herd. But, he doesn't mind. He has his moments, but for the most part nothing really phases him. We mostly just trail-ride. I used to compete when I was younger, did everything from halter, english and western pleasure, and even did a year with a local barrel racing club. But, trail riding has always been my favorite and we have some pretty nice land to ride on right where I board, so I'm pretty happy just staying home and hitting the trails.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back