OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2811.jpg
Please do! I'm jealous you get to play with warmbloods. They aren't very common in my area, and the ones you do find are either $$$ or otherwise not sound of body and/or mind. Most common are paints, quarter horses, arabians, and OTTB; with the odd sprinkling of draft/draft-draft crosses and mustangs.

My boy is by far the youngest, and therefore the lowest on the totem pole in his herd. But, he doesn't mind. He has his moments, but for the most part nothing really phases him. We mostly just trail-ride. I used to compete when I was younger, did everything from halter, english and western pleasure, and even did a year with a local barrel racing club. But, trail riding has always been my favorite and we have some pretty nice land to ride on right where I board, so I'm pretty happy just staying home and hitting the trails.
It's funny how things can be so similar but different! I got the job originally because I landed a spot on the IHSA Equestrian team as a non-competing member but I practiced for the Walk/Trot class. (Obviously, because I was lowest of that totem pole). Haha, it's funny beacuse growing up I always watched westerns with my Dad, so that's where the interest started when I was young. Being from the deep south, my home town is roughly 2 hours from the Florida line and less than 30 from the Georgia line, things are very similar to the Western lifestyle with some differences. We did not have a lot growing up, but we definitely were not poor. Just like I am sure you know, horses cost money! No one in my immediate family has interest in horses, however I have a great aunt that boards somewhere in Rhode Island, whom of which I have never met. (My GranDad is from Rhode Island, met by Granny via Airforce here in the South). Well around the time I was 22, I just literally said I'm old enough and I make enough money to take care of the things I need to, so why not get riding lessons. That's what I did, and it was from a barrel racer! Haha, but she did a fine job in teaching me the basics and that's how IHSA picked me up. (IHSA for those who are curious and do not know is a club equestrian team that competes in both English and Western events. There are no scholarships, at least not to my knowledge. Men and women alike are allowed to compete. Not to be confused with the NCEA team, which can give scholarships and is women only.If it makes it easier to understand NCEA bascially means NCAA. Which is a term that most can affiliate with collegiate football, baseball, etc.) From my understanding as well, Auburn University is one of the few Universities that has both IHSA and NCEA.

With that being said, the cost of being a part of the team lead to me having to leave but I kept my current job, of course. I know there are some drafts around here, but I have only seen one at the unit. She was a broodmare being used for studies in a Horse Repro Class, for the major of Equine Science. We don't get them permanently at the barn, obviously because we have no use. Also, no Arabians. I know a girl who is a manager at a local barn rescue, which in this area is pretty prestigious, and they had an Arabian mixed. She ended up adopting her. Now when I say this, I am only telling you what I've been told and heard, they are not my own personal opinions. I do not have enough experience or knowledge with them, to even form one. But they get a bad wrap by most as a very "crazy breed." In this area, other than the field of competitive "Equestrian," most use quarterhorses because they are pretty good all around horses. Most rope with them, move cattle with them, and cut cattle with them. Obviously rodeo is big around here too, and that's the go to horse for those events. As far off the track thoroughbreds, my boss has one that I get the privilege to take care of now and again! He's 6, and he's a dapple grey. Dominant but very funny guy! He's still healing from an unfortunate leg injury that happened while he was out to pasture over Christmas break, but if you interact with him, he'll tell you he's doing just fine.

One day I would like to rope. I do an okay job on the ground with my own steer dummy that I built. Other than that because of time, I ride mostly horses that are rehabbing and when the NCEA team is not here to do it. I used to trail ride quite a bit, bareback or saddled, and I loved it! Almost had an opportunity to ride English, on our team swap day where western rides english, and English rides western but unfortunately I had to work! But by far, and I recommend it to anyone that rides who hasn't been able to do it, is to try cutting! I got to do this in Texas, this time last year. I'm telling you it is a whole mess of fun! I'll post a picture of it below, but please try to ignore my hair. My trainer, who was also my girlfriend at the time liked the long hair look on me. Don't get me wrong, I liked my long hair but unfortunately I don't know how to grow it properly, haha. So looking back I can see how it looked like a mullet.

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reining looks like fun, but I think those spins would make me dizzy! My cousin was getting into cowhorse and cutting for a while, but she switched focus back to barrel racing. Cutting looks fun too, but you have to have really good reflexes with a good cutting horse because they really dive at those cows! I think my boy might have had an interest in working cows, there's a large herd on our property as well, and he has to check on them every time we meet up with their pastures. But, he's not inherently fast... I bought him from a girl I knew from barrel racing, he was bred from one of their barrel mares but has exactly zero interest in running. She was surprised when I went to try him, and was able to get a lope from him on the first try lol He's a perfect trail horse though, so it worked out.

Arabians can be cheeky, but I started out working with arabians and for every hot-head there's a nice, sweet steady-eddy. The horse I rode most when I was younger was a grey arabian gelding and he was PERFECT. Never refused anything, never put a hoof wrong, and very understanding with beginners.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been sometime since I have been in freshwater, but I am more than happy to try and help. When I left that part, I was going into the whole CO2 dosing system. I was successful in growing some of the more hardy plants without it though, for sure. I understand the basic processes of how life works and if you give any of my threads a read, you'll see how I preach "balance." Humans work in the same fashion. We obtain equilibrium when positive inputs equal negative inputs. One of my more favorable examples of when positive inputs are greater than negative inputs, is by using the scenario when one of our guy or girl buddies find someone they really like. They become this person infatuated by love, that person they are talking to is perfect, food tastes better, nothing can kill their wonderful mood, so and so forth. In reality, we know these are not true. Haha, and it's not to make anyone get down on themselves at all! It's just reality, and the more I live (even though I am only 24) I have come to find that everything we do including the person that we choose to be, reflects by the decisions we make! Also, happiness is perspective!

Of course there are many things that go into all of that, and I am no psychologist. However, it easy to see when the balance is upset by negative inputs are greater than positive inputs. We become stress, anxiety ridden, depressed. Small conflicts become large ones. Our ability to communicate effectively begins to deteriorate. Then when it wears on us long enough, we do what any naturally living creature with any type of cognitive or I'll be bold enough to say instinctive thinking does, we become desperate. We try to rationalize with impulsive decisions in order to make that outside pressuring/negative force to stop. Which can be we lash out at people, we quit a job, we give up on a dream, we break up with a person, we blame people, etc. You get the point! All of this is not to bring up a post based upon "the betterment of human behavior in order to achieve a more fulfilled life." That's an entirely different topic, and requires a different discussion. However, being that we are humans I find it is one of the more easier and subtle ways to explain how you can achieve most things in your aquarium when making decisions so long as you keep balance in the back of your mind! I will help when I can, and if I can! I sure hope you can count on me, and good luck!!
Sorry ;Shamefullyembarrased...the tank will be Mangroves, and may some macro algae, and some Halimedas...I not sure if I should actually plant them, and if so in what?...or just let the Mangroves float, and maybe make a multiple chamber and keep everything seperate...just sorting out some ideas at moment.

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reining looks like fun, but I think those spins would make me dizzy! My cousin was getting into cowhorse and cutting for a while, but she switched focus back to barrel racing. Cutting looks fun too, but you have to have really good reflexes with a good cutting horse because they really dive at those cows! I think my boy might have had an interest in working cows, there's a large herd on our property as well, and he has to check on them every time we meet up with their pastures. But, he's not inherently fast... I bought him from a girl I knew from barrel racing, he was bred from one of their barrel mares but has exactly zero interest in running. She was surprised when I went to try him, and was able to get a lope from him on the first try lol He's a perfect trail horse though, so it worked out.

Arabians can be cheeky, but I started out working with arabians and for every hot-head there's a nice, sweet steady-eddy. The horse I rode most when I was younger was a grey arabian gelding and he was PERFECT. Never refused anything, never put a hoof wrong, and very understanding with beginners.
Oh, I totally get it. When I had the chance, I enjoyed watching the NCEA girls when they were reining. The thing that I have picked up on and noticed about cutting, especially in the higher divisions of competition is that the horse does most of the work. I'm sure that the riders play a role, but it's like you mentioned, it's about mindset. Some horses do not work well with cows, because they don't have cow sense. Some thorough breds don't make it on the track, because they do not have a mind for running. Which is funny, because that's actually what lead to my boss being able to purchase Chief. He acquired a leg injury, major or minor I am not sure, but it detoured his mind from running like he did ever again. As far as what you said about Arabians, it makes sense to me. All breeds have their exceptions, and being able to adapt to them is what makes us horsemen and horsewomen. However, I will say this and it is just my opinion. I think if you're going to ride you need to have put in ample amount of experience in with a horse on the ground. We can even go as far as to say, for every one hour riding, you should at least do 2 hours on the ground. I feel like that's where trust and respect establish. I think that's where the beginning of understanding what touch is like for a horse. I remember studying up some on the moments after birth for a foal. How the broodmare touches the foal with her whiskers or even at times lips, in different angles and intensities is what sets the tone for how that foal perceives touch for the remainder of it's life. That's one reason why I have never ridden with spurs and I refuse to do so until I properly understand how to use them and when. If that horse can feel a fly land on his hind end, and twitch a certain muscle to get him off, that right there should be enough to demonstrate how sensitive they are. Think how that must feel even with dulled spurs when they are used improperly. I could definitely see how this can deaden a lot of horses in that area. But this is my opinion! I am not saying spurs are bad, and I am not criticizing anyone who has gone this path. I just always told myself, before I ever become a rider or anything of the sort, I will always be a horseman first.

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry ;Shamefullyembarrased...the tank will be Mangroves, and may some macro algae, and some Halimedas...I not sure if I should actually plant them, and if so in what?...or just let the Mangroves float, and maybe make a multiple chamber and keep everything seperate...just sorting out some ideas at moment.
I have actually seen something of the sort done similar by LFS. They should still have a Facebook page and they were very helpful. The name is "Neptunes Reef," and they are located in Columbus, Georgia. They may have pictures posted on their page as well. But if you messaged them, letting them know what your intentions or plans are, I am confident that they will help you. Or at least point you in the right direction. However, I do not feel that I have enough experience, and I would need to do some research. Between school, work, and my current plans for my tank I am afraid it would take some time to get that knowledge gathered for you. With that being said, if you would check in with me from time to time I will definitely do what I can! My spring break is coming up next week, and I am off the entire week. So, I will have some free time and I will not mind dedicating some of the time to assist you.

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Articles can be written and submitted to @Seawitch who is coordinating the R2R articles. Feel free to PM her and I'm sure she would be happy to provide assistance.

Yup, @K-Philly just message me if you want to publish articles. Always happy to have a new writer.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back