New to R2R, however follow on FB...RO/DI problem

Ductigamist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all hope I can get some answers from this vast group of knowledge.
I've had my tank for 4 years now
46gal bowfromt, 30gal sump/ refugium
Triton5
Remora
75 watt LED
4 425 gal Koralia power heads
Coralife II 4 stage RO/DI

I just moved my entire setup and things aren't doing so well. I moved the tank late October and my coral isn't doing so well. I checked my RO TDS AND FOUND 100ish ppm, changed my filters late December and flushed the membrane. Had 0-2 ppm TDS the next 2 weeks, by week 4 I'm back up to 70-90 ppm. I've only made 60ish gallons of water and the DI cart has not changed color at all, anyone have any idea as to why my TDS went back up or what I should check? I didn't have this problem at my last location

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and yes DesertRat can help you with that ro.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! We're very glad you joined and hope that you will enjoy the forums, enter contest, start a tank thread, and just be a part of our family friendly community!

Start a new tank thread here: Member Tanks

Enter a FREE contest here: R2R Giveaway and Contest Forum

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! I moved your thread to this forum to get more views and hopefully the answer to your dilemma.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

First off answer a few questions.
What is your tap water TDS, RO only TDS and final RO/DI TDS?
What is your water pressure and your water temperature?
What is your exact waste ratio? You can measure this with a measuring cup and watch or clock. Measure the flow from the waste line for exactly one minute, write the measurement level down then do the same with the treated water line. It should be somewhere in the 4:1 range meaning 4 times as much waste as treated. It is easiest to use a metric measuring cup graduated in mL but ounces or whatever works too.
Have you ever used hot or warm water in the unit or tried to blend hot and cold together?
How much water do you make at a time, long filter runs or 3-5 gallons or more are much better on the system than frequent short spurts that do not allow the membrane to cleanse itself.

When you say you changed the filters, what exactly did you change and what did you use for replacements? How old was the DI resin or cartridge and was it stored vacuum sealed in the refrigerator if more than a few weeks old? DI resin has a short lifespan, especially if not packed, sealed and stored properly, 6 months maximum under the best of conditions.
Have you ever disinfected the system?

DO NOT use Coralife's absolutely stupid suggestion of reversing lines and pumping tap water into the treated water side of the membrane to "flush" the system, thats the last thing you want to do is put untreated water, TDS, on the treated side. There are better ways to flush a membrane such as keeping the waste ratio at 4:1 and installing a DI bypass valve to flush the TDS creep out.

OP
OP
D

Ductigamist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... We'll I've been away at work for a while so I'll have to do some testing when I get home...
This filter replacement round was the first time I DID do the reverse line thing Coralife says to do because it didn't make logical sense to me.
I purchased Coralife replacement carts. Just as I did the 2 other times I've changed them, per filter,carbon,and resin
From memory my Tap is about 359-400 TDS
Temp is cold split off the water line to the laundry machine
I've never used warm or hot water
I usually make at least 5 gallons but usually about 12 to fill my top off and water change portions

And I'm only having this problem since I moved
I'll get more exact numbers when I get back home prob. Sunday night or Monday

Thanks for the help

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back