New to R2R-Not to Reefing

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my intro: I started my first reef tank in 2001, which was a 29 gal. running on a canister filter. It was very successful housing 4-5 fish, live rock, and a verity of corals. In 2003 I started another Tank, a 65 gal. with a sump and skimmer. I kept both tanks running until 2006 and then took everything out of the 29 gal. and added it to the 65 gal. During this time line up to January 2020, I had never had any issues with any sick fish, wacky water conditions, or algae problems. I actually have only performed weekly 10% water changes never going past 8 days for almost 20 years. Late last year I lost two of my original fish (assuming age related).
Everything went downhill since January 2020! I decided to try something new, I was going to order a few new fish online and have them overnighted ( not sure if it would be appropriate to name the vendor). Anyway the fish arrived the next day at 10:00 am ; being very excited, I floated the bags and slowly removed some water and then added the DT water, repeating this over a four hour period (exactly!!! mistake number 1). With the lights off and not examining as closely as I should have, I added the five fish to the aquarium. That night I recognize two of them were not right, yes it was ICK!!!! The next day I tried to remove the two, but one had died and the other was close to death (trashed). After two weeks, two of my original fish died and another getting sick. (This is what led me to start searching online for help and found Reef2Reef with all the expert advice, so I joined). I used the posting to learn how to set up a QT and all the recommended medications. After two months of a fish-less DT and maintaining a QT, I added everything back into the DT. About 3 weeks ago I went to a reputable LFS to to get a couple new fish (Kole Eye Tang and Yellow Hawaiian Tang that was housed in copper, with an UV system). I put them in the the DT tank and now the Kole Eye Tang is sick (ready to give up!). Currently doing a food soak with garlic extreme and Zoecon. Kole Eye Tang started swimming out in the tank today and is looking better (my tank won’t be though). I also have reset-up the QT downstairs, if I am able to get him out he will go there with a freshwater dip. Almost 20 years of successful reefing, but 0 experienced dealing with problems!!!! I will post later to share the outcome.

Welcome, I am glad to have you in the forum and looking forward to your post.

jay06705

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

344219,xcitefun-welcome-1.jpg

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my intro: I started my first reef tank in 2001, which was a 29 gal. running on a canister filter. It was very successful housing 4-5 fish, live rock, and a verity of corals. In 2003 I started another Tank, a 65 gal. with a sump and skimmer. I kept both tanks running until 2006 and then took everything out of the 29 gal. and added it to the 65 gal. During this time line up to January 2020, I had never had any issues with any sick fish, wacky water conditions, or algae problems. I actually have only performed weekly 10% water changes never going past 8 days for almost 20 years. Late last year I lost two of my original fish (assuming age related).
Everything went downhill since January 2020! I decided to try something new, I was going to order a few new fish online and have them overnighted ( not sure if it would be appropriate to name the vendor). Anyway the fish arrived the next day at 10:00 am ; being very excited, I floated the bags and slowly removed some water and then added the DT water, repeating this over a four hour period (exactly!!! mistake number 1). With the lights off and not examining as closely as I should have, I added the five fish to the aquarium. That night I recognize two of them were not right, yes it was ICK!!!! The next day I tried to remove the two, but one had died and the other was close to death (trashed). After two weeks, two of my original fish died and another getting sick. (This is what led me to start searching online for help and found Reef2Reef with all the expert advice, so I joined). I used the posting to learn how to set up a QT and all the recommended medications. After two months of a fish-less DT and maintaining a QT, I added everything back into the DT. About 3 weeks ago I went to a reputable LFS to to get a couple new fish (Kole Eye Tang and Yellow Hawaiian Tang that was housed in copper, with an UV system). I put them in the the DT tank and now the Kole Eye Tang is sick (ready to give up!). Currently doing a food soak with garlic extreme and Zoecon. Kole Eye Tang started swimming out in the tank today and is looking better (my tank won’t be though). I also have reset-up the QT downstairs, if I am able to get him out he will go there with a freshwater dip. Almost 20 years of successful reefing, but 0 experienced dealing with problems!!!! I will post later to share the outcome.
Welcome to R2R. Sorry to hear that you are having problems after all those years of success. Lots of knowledgable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back